Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cariboy is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

current user name display on form

Good day

I created a database in Access 2010 and now after opening it in Office 365 i found some of the functions previously done not working properly. I would be happy if I can get some help on one of the issues in my database now; I would like to display the current user of the database based on the person's User Login and not the Environ (computer's name). The fields in my table are User Name, User Login, Password, User Security. Below is the code i currently have and worked in the previous version of access.

Code:
    Private Sub Command1_Click()
    Dim TempPass As String
    Dim ID As Integer
    Dim UserName As String
    Dim AccessLevel As Integer

If IsNull(Me.TxtLoginID) Then
        MsgBox "Please enter LoginID", vbInformation, "LoginID Required"
        Me.TxtLoginID.SetFocus
    ElseIf IsNull(Me.TxtPassword) Then
        MsgBox "Please enter Password", vbInformation, "Password Required"
        Me.TxtPassword.SetFocus
    Else
        'process the job
      If (IsNull(DLookup("UserLogin", "tblUser", "UserLogin ='" & Me.TxtLoginID.Value & "'  And password = '" & Me.TxtPassword.Value & "'"))) Then
            MsgBox "Incorrect LoginID or Password"
        Else
                TempPass = DLookup("password", "tblUser", "UserLogin = '" & Me.TxtLoginID.Value & "'")
                UserName = DLookup("[UserName]", "tblUser", "[UserLogin] = '" & Me.TxtLoginID.Value & "'")
                ID = DLookup("UserID", "tblUser", "UserLogin = '" & Me.TxtLoginID.Value & "'")
                AccessLevel = DLookup("UserSecurity", "tblUser", "UserLogin = '" & Me.TxtLoginID.Value & "'")
                DoCmd.Close
        If (TempPass = "password") Then
            MsgBox "Please Change Password", vbInformation, "New Password Required"
            DoCmd.OpenForm "tblUser", , , "[UserID] =" & ID
        Else
            DoCmd.OpenForm "MAIN SCREEN"
            Forms![MAIN SCREEN]![TxtUser] = UserName
            Forms![MAIN SCREEN]![txtsecurity] = AccessLevel

Call Security(AccessLevel)

End If
    End If
    End If
    End Sub

All of this work if i use the CurrentUser = Environ ("UserName") but i dont want to use the environ name i want the name of the person based on their Username and Password which come from the user table in my database. Thanks for any help.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    So user inputs a login ID and password and you do lookup to Users table to verify user and retrieve UserName. That's what code appears to do. What happens - error message, wrong result, nothing?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    So what exactly does "not working properly" mean? Do you get an error, if so what is it and on what line?
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for the reply. Nothing happens (populate in txtUser textbox) login works fine and because there is no username the restrictions button works fine.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    The User Name box on my form does not populate only does when i use currentuser = Environ ("Username") which i dont want to you. It worked in access 2010 but now that i'm using access in office 365 is does not populate

June7 is online now VIP
    And why is the username not found with the DLookup? Have you step debugged? Are variables populated with expected data?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi June. Nothing is showing up in that text box. The only time it populates is when I use the environ("username") function. Then it returns the name of the computer, not the person using the custom login info for the database.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Can you attach the db here?
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 10 Access 2016
    thanks but i dont know how to do that i would prefer not to since it has information that identify the company i work for and i dont want to have that information public

Windows XP Access 2007
    I understand. Perhaps a stand-alone sample with enough to replicate the problem? I can't replicate the problem, so can't say what's going wrong for you.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I've looked 3x in the code and can't find "CurrentUser".
    i found some of the functions previously done not working properly
    Kinda looks like maybe you're missing a function call to CurrentUser, but you indicate this db was created in an earlier version but doesn't run in 2016 version. I'm using W10 and Access 2016 as are you, so if you want to copy the necessary objects into a test db and post, I should be able to look at it for you as well. While I have seen function calls that would run in earlier versions that would not in newer versions, it seems odd that the posted code would be a problem - unless maybe you're missing a function call. Just make sure you include some usable data in a user table if you post a db.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for your reply. I believe the issue is, like you said, it might be the dlookup function to carry out this particular command does not work in Access 2016, since if i remember clearly it was working perfect in Access 2010. I have replaced the dlookup function with the CurrentUser that is CurrentUser=Environ(UserName) and the computer name (environ) rather than the user login from the database is displayed in the box and the restrictions to the command button works ( just in case you dont recall, i had it set up to allow access to a command button (admin) based on a user login info. this info comes from a table in the database. I will try to make a copy of the database and delete a lot of the object (tables, forms etc) leaving only the user info table, and the switchboard and try to upload it (i have no idea how to upload the database here (:

Windows 10 Access 2016
    This is the tutorial i used to create the DLookup to preform the restriction and to show the name of the current user.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GCTqYLTeH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j55_4eYnTEM&t=608s

June7 is online now VIP
    Follow instructions at bottom of my post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.