Lavo is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2016

How to create a new record on multiple tables with one input

I am new to Access and have created a database for Doctors information in work.
    I created a database with 3 tables. The Primary Key is the Doctors staff Number, the Doctors staff Number is also included in the other 2 tables and this is both the primary and secondary key linking all 3 tables.

At the beginning when I created a new record in the 'Primary table' and saved it, there would be a record automatically created in the other 2 tables. These would be blank with just the Doctors Staff Number filled in. However this no longer works. It now creates a record in the Primary table but not the other 2. How do I fix this?

I also tried to create a form and included fields from all 3 tables. This works fine if I am updating information however if I try to create a new record I get an error message The Microsoft Access Database engine cannot find a record in the table 'Table 2' with key matching field(s) 'Doctors Staff Number'. Does this mean there is a problem with my key? as there is clearer a key in Table 2 named Doctors Staff Number.

Any help with this would be great. Thanks

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    you could make sub forms, so when the user updates the master form:
    it runs an append query to the other subform tables.
    or
    just runs append query to the tables. (the subforms aren't needed but good to see visually.)

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Welcome to the forum.........

You should not have spaces in object names. "Doctors staff Number" has spaces - a better name would be "DoctorsStaffNumber"
    Naming suggestions:
    Use only letters and numbers (exception is the underscore) for object names.
    Do not use spaces, punctuation or special characters in object names.
    Do not begin an object name with a number.
    Do not use Look up FIELDS, multi-Value fields or Calculated fields in tables.

I have never had a record created in a related table because I created a record in the PK table.
    Maybe you would post your dB. Make a copy of the dB, delete sensitive data (only nee a few records), do a "Compact and Repair", then Zip/Compress the dB and attach it to a reply.

I would use main form/sub form design, maybe with tabs.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.