Windows 8 Access 2016

new record is added against my will

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	captura_dudas_Access.PNG 
Views:	16 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	37492

Hello everyone,

I have a form which is formed by a table and I associated a text which will always appears when I add a new record.

The way it works the text is like this:
    Also, it was solved in this forum two weeks ago (https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=75591)

Code:
     Private Sub Form_Current()

If Me.NewRecord Then Me.OBSERVACIONES = Dlookup ("texto", "Table")

End Sub
    The problem I am facing is when I browse through all records, especially by using "Go to the next record" a new blank record is created when I click on it (when I am at the last record) and that is what I do not want in my application. I suppose that having this default text is enough to create the record.

Is there anything I can do in order to stop this?

I am thinking of adding like a message to confirm if a new record is introduced and it must be accepted in order to create the new record.

Thank you in advance,

Regards.

I think you have a problem because some field in table has default value, and the table has autonumeric ID. When you move to new record in form, the field gets it's default value, and because this, the autonumeric PK for record is created.

Use default values only for form controls instead. And to be sure, even then abort creating of new record pressing ESC (2 times, when I remember correctly).

mar7632 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2016
    Thank you ArviLaanemets for answering.

Could you specified me more what do you mean by using default values only for form controls? Please.

Lets say, tou have a table
    tblYourTable: AutoNumericID, SomeDate, ...

When you set for SomeDate a default value "=Date()", and add a new row into table (in table, or in form), the field SomeDate gets today's date as value automatically. As now one field in table has non-zero value, the AtonumericID field gets also a value.

When you don't set default value for SomeDate, but instead you set a default value "=Date()" for text control txtSomeDate (which has SomeDate as source), the control gets default value automatically, but not field SomeDate. The value in control is saved into table when the record is saved, but until then all fields linked to controls in form are empty, and because that the field AutonumericID is empty too.

In form, when you created a new record, but didn't save it jet, or moved to another record (what forces saving), pressing ESC twice cancels new record creating and returns the record pointer to current last record in table.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.