ccress is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Creating a Database of in and out inventory management

Hello! I need some help! Im by no means an avid Access user. Honestly, I dont exactly know what im doing.

I am creating a database to manage the (in and out) inventory of a safe. The image below shows the form.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Entry Form.PNG 
Views:	24 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	37474
    The form of course goes to a table when a new record is created. (this signifies the item being placed in the safe) Im am also going to create a Release form, which will be completed when an item is removed from the safe. I am seeking assistance with finding a way to remove the item from the Entries Table, automatically when it is added to the Release Table (by completing the release form). I know how to make a query item on the release form to allow the user to select the record from the entries table, but I dont know how to move the entire record over, from one table to another without a complicated process. This form needs to be user friendly, for those users that arent very technically savy.

Thank you in advance for your help!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Contraband.PNG  

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I wouldn't move it from table to table. Anything without a release date is still in the safe, anything with a release date has been...released.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows XP Access 2007
    By the way, if it was necessary to move it, you'd execute an append query and then a delete query, each using the transaction ID on the form as a criteria. But I wouldn't move it.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

ccress is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    I wouldn't move it from table to table. Anything without a release date is still in the safe, anything with a release date has been...released.
    My supervisor wants to be able to see a valid list of all items currently in the safe. Would this be possible (Ie viewing a report that only shows items with no release date)?

[Full disclosure Ive never made a report, or manipulated the data thats evaluated by reports so that will be a new learning experience for me]

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    That is what queries and filtered reports are for.

Have you completed an introductory tutorial book on Access to learn these basics of Access functionality?

Might look at MS Lending Library database template for ideas.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Sure, you use a query with a criteria of

Is Null

on the released date field. By the way, as a rule I'd store date and time together in the same field. It makes it easier if you ever need to do calculations on it (how long was item 123 in the safe?).
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows XP Access 2007
    I'll get out of the way.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

ccress is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    By the way, as a rule I'd store date and time together in the same field. It makes it easier if you ever need to do calculations on it (how long was item 123 in the safe?).
    I was having trouble with that, Using the field quick add feature, when selecting date / time it only allows date fields. I cant seem to figure out how to add a time stamp, or how to make them automatic based on the time the record is created.

Again, I know these may seem like basic skills, but I havent used access since like 2014 I really appreciate your assistance.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Understand that date/time is actually saved as a Double number type. A date/time field holds date and time components as a single value. Field can be set to display different date/time formats (I prefer to do formatting in controls on form or report).

Date() function will return current date parts only.

Now() function will return current full date/time.

Use either of them in DefaultValue property and value will be saved when record is created and committed to table. Then use the same function in code when recording the return date/time if you are saving the return to the same record.

Might be worthwhile spending a solid week with a tutorial for refreshing knowledge/skills.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.