adrianf44 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

The data has been changed. Re-edit the record

I have done a thorough search for a resolution for this error but have not found one yet:

The data has been changed. Another user edited this record and saved the changes before you attempted to save your changes. Re-edit the record.

I have a listbox with a list of my users and a subform with each person's record. As I select a person it shows their record in the subform. Note: it's a subform because it's hidden when you open the form and appears after you make your first selection.

However, if I make a change to someone's record and try to navigate to another user, I receive the above error. It works fine if I manually refresh the form after each change.

So far I've tried placing a Me.Refresh and Me.Requery on click, after update, ect with no success. I've tried selecting the data source as both my Contacts table and as a query.

Am I missing something or is this just an access thing?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Is the main form bound to same data as subform? Is listbox bound to field? Controls used to enter/select filter criteria should be UNBOUND.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Is the main form bound to same data as subform? Is listbox bound to field? Controls used to enter/select filter criteria should be UNBOUND.
    Both the main form and subform are bound to a query that containz the same table (tblContacts). The main form holds the [ID] field and the subform contains the [Forms]![subform]![ID] so it shows the selected ID. My listbox is a query that lists the names as a calculated field (LastName, FirstName, MI)

June7 is offline VIP
    Is the listbox bound to field? If so then you start edit of record when selecting item. Then you try to edit record on subform. That's why you get the 'edit by other user' error.

As stated, listbox should be UNBOUND, otherwise you change data in record.

Probably should not have main form bound to data.

I have a setup like this. Main form is an UNBOUND 'receptacle' for all the buttons and controls used to filter subform.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

The listbox is unbound. Attached is my DB if you can take a look at what I have so far. "Main" form is frmHome and "subform" is frmMain
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    It is possible to have all the buttons and control used for search placed in form header section instead of using form/subform. I chose form/subform because: 1) did not like appearance of vertical scroll bar on single form, 2) wanted datasheet view, not continuous, 3) don't like intrinsic split form.

I have seen attempts at binding main and subform to same data and they are always problematic. This is why Split form was introduced, which has its own issues.

I cannot consistently replicate the issue. Sometimes get the message and sometimes don't.

Possibly you need to run command to save record. The trick is determining what even to put this into.

Or perhaps do not have RecordSource on main form and then apply filter criteria to subform.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.