Poohbear0471 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Field won't populate

I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but I have one field that isn't working correctly. On the form QA, the field QA User should be autopopulating with txtUser from frmMenu. Can someone identify my mistake?

I also have two minor inconveniences I can't seem to find a solution for. In the Word output, I use FirstName twice. In one instance, it's all UPPERCASE and in the second, it's ProperCase (coded using the field formatting in the output). My users will most likely copy and paste data into the form. Our source is UPPERCASE. This forces both instances to be UPPERCASE. This is the only field with this situation. Any suggestions besides typing the FirstName each time?

Second is the formatting for PostalCode. We use the format XXXXX-XXXX (again, using field formatting in the output). This formats correctly in my output. However, if we only have the first five digits, is it possible to programatically not include the hyphen? It's simple enough to remove it from the letter, so again, it's only an inconvenience.

That's not a big issue, so if it's gonna take research on your end, don't worry about it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    What is process to open form QA? Modal mode is a nuisance in debugging. I turned it off so I could manually open QA. I added record for myself into tblStaff. The field does populate with my username. DefaultValue works.

No idea about the case issue. You may have identified the only solution.

Where does this formatting for PostalCode take place - what form should I look at? Code can test for length of string and if less than 10, remove the hyphen.

IIf(Len([PostalCode])<10, Left([PostalCode],5), [PostalCode])
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

To open form QA, your tblStaff record needs to have your permission set to QA or Admin. On frmMenu, select Letter QA from the dropdown. frmQASearch opens with a summary of records. Select the edit button to open the record in frmQA. The txtUser field on frmMenu populates just fine. I also use this field to populate the UserID on frmContacts without any problems. So it worked for you?

Formatting for PostalCode takes place in the mail merge doc using the MergeField formatting {{PostalCode \@ "#####-####}}. I'll try moving the formatting to the form instead.

I really appreciate you taking time to look at this for me!

Ed

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I set myself up as Admin user.

frmQASearch has no records because there aren't any in Contacts.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I'm still not getting it to function, but I found an alternative by using an audit trail. Thank you for taking the time to look at this, June7!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.