cdm85 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 64bit

Update PDF Report

I use an Access database for Asbestos inspections and need to update our address on one of the PDF reports that is generated. Attached is a screen shot of the report generator page and of the PDF that is made. The company address is buried somewhere in the template but I can't find out where. We had a third party person make the program and we no longer have his contact info. Wouldn't mind changing our logo as well. Any help would be appreciated. Please note that I am a novice at the background needed to really dig into this program. Thank you.

Material Identification Inventory Report.pdf
    Attached Files Attached Files

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    You'll have to find the record source for the report to start with - may be listed in the nav pane as a query or table, but could be named anything. Or you'll have to post a zipped copy of the db here. My guess is that you don't know what I'm referring to, which would make this a very lengthy thread that might not even be solvable this way.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

cdm85 is offline Novice
    Thank you. I can certainly upload the zip file. For info purposes the interface that we have to input the database items is through a PDF input screen. When I make a project the Access database file is generated. I assume in that file is where I would need to look for the Nav pane or table?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Do you want to attempt to follow instructions on how to get to the report design to fix it yourself or provide the information for me to make the changes?
    EDIT
    forgot to mention that your asbestos db is a run time file. Does that mean you don't have the original mdb or accdb file?

cdm85 is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    Do you want to attempt to follow instructions on how to get to the report design to fix it yourself or provide the information for me to make the changes?
    EDIT
    forgot to mention that your asbestos db is a run time file. Does that mean you don't have the original mdb or accdb file?

I could attempt to fix it myself. As far as the database goes I am only finding the runtime program.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    This is what I did
    - copy the run time file, change the extension to ".accdb" say ok/yes to the warning
    - open the new file, opened the reports in design view
    - created a table tblDbParams; Param/ParamValue/ParamDesc (short text) e.g.rptAddress/an address/reports address label
    - changed the label to a textbox "txtAddress"; set its source to
    Code:
    =DLookUp("ParamValue","tblDbParams","Param='rptAddress'")
    - save and switch to print preview

Address is now whatever you put in table. This approach doesn't require redesign every time a piece of info changes and could work for any db characteristic you'd want to alter periodically. If you needed separate addresses for other reports, you'd enter a value in ParamValue (parameter value) that distinguishes one report from another. You could also alter the picture based on a table value, but I suspect that's seldom going to change thus really wouldn't be worth the effort as it wouldn't be as simple to control.

Regardless, you will now be able to get at the reports design view after you rename the file, but I would start with a copy and develop from there, leaving your current file as a backup.
    Last edited by Micron; 02-01-2019 at 02:57 PM. Reason: added code tags to prevent forum injected spaces

cdm85 is offline Novice
    Maybe I can't follow. There is no place to change the extension that I see. If you mean the actual Access program that creates the project file there is no way to change the extension and the test file that was created is an accdb file. Thanks for the help. i may have to get someone in.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    In windows file explorer, you see the file with the accdr extension, yes?
    Vieux Asbestos Managment 4-14-2011.accdr

I suspect as much or else you wouldn't have been able to upload one. After you've created a copy of it (in case things go wrong) you change the extension on your copy file in File Explorer. Then that's the one you open with Access and work with. I'll try zipping what I worked on; let me know if I grab the wrong file or if you have any problem using it.

Vieux Asbestos Managment 4-14-2011.zip

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.