veejay is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Changing option button depending on multiple choices.

I'm in the process of creating a new database for quality review.

I have a form called "Quality_Subform" which is basically a whole lot of checkboxes questions.

For each set of question I have the following options:

N/A, C (Correct), NON (Not necessary), ON (Necessary) and FB (Feedback)
    I also have a "main" question which is at the top of every "group". This question has 3 options : C (correct), I (incorrect) and FB (feedback).

The first set is not meant to be really use, but to serve as an indicator of what's underneath.

I would like to know if it's possible and how to create a Relationship between the secondary question and the main one.

Essentially here's what I want:

If all the questions are either N/A or C : Main question should be C.
    If for ANY of the secondary options "FB" is selected, then in the main one it should switch to FB without regards for the fact that the other ones are correct.
    If for ANY of the secondary options "NON" or "ON" is selected, then the main one should switch to I, even if there is one FB and many C.

I've attached an early version of my db so you can help me if possible.

Thanks

(This is just to get an idea of how it should work)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-01-23_12-17-40.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	37094New DB_anon.zip

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    It might be helpful if you told us about your Quality Review process/business. That would put some context around your proposed handling of options. The real challenge is to get your tables and relationships designed and tested to ensure they match your requirements. It's good to give consideration to possible user interfaces, but a little too early at the moment in my view.

Our existing database was mostly in relation with qualitative review where the quality was assesed on comments mostly.
    We always had about 100 of these click options but most of them were disregarded because it was poorly formulated.

We've spent the last month or so reviewing the quality assesment process and have come up with new questions.

We still have about 70 data points that need to be collected, and all of them are encompassed under 5 categories, which are the different aspect of the work (example, assesment of the quality of the "clerical" aspect, quality of the delivered product, etc.).

We will be running different type of reports from these data, some are aimed at the employees and will be a mix of qualitative feedback as well as % stats from the "Main" question (was this section correct, incorrect or feedback was provided).

But other reports are aimed at management and for them we need to have the breakdown of all 70 something data points.

We are trying to improve our database collecting system because the current one is just not working, the data was wrongly inputed and trying to move on from that.

So this is not about user experience but rather a fail safe, I want to ensure that an Incorrect is recorded in the header category when one of the following question is set to I because I know by experience that my users will overlook questions, forget, make mistakes. Now I want to force them to answer each questions and have the "header" reflect this.

For us an error in one of the aspect equals to an error from a specific category on the file.

We are trying to improve our database collecting system because the current one is just not working, the data was wrongly inputed and trying to move on from that.
    We've spent the last month or so reviewing the quality assesment process and have come up with new questions.
    Are you saying the current database design -tables and relationships - are working fine, or they, too, are under review?

The decision was made to flush everything and start afresh. Some of the data we already have is for lack of a better word bias as the wording suggested different meaning and we learn later that it lead to it being used in different ways.

That being said, the improvement we're trying to implement are coming from the experience we currently have.

As I have said in different responses, getting your tables and relationships designed to match your requirements is critical.
    Can you show us your tables and relationships design, with some test data?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.