Rachel Emmons is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Dynamic Formatting

Hi all,

Hopefully a quick question here but as of yet, I have not been able to find a solution. What I'm trying to do is create some formatting in a report so that I have a section of text boxes, which are dynamic (in that they are set to grow and shrink according to the data), and I want to somehow make it visually apparent that this is a section that is different from other sections in the report. Ideally, I would put a vertical label next to this section that can also grow or shrink, but I've also tried drawing a (colored) rectangle with a border and I've tried putting the section into a subreport with an alternative background color or a border (I can make this one work to an extent, but I cannot put in the vertical label). I'm not sure if this image will help clarify what I'm asking, but just in case it does... In the image, I have 2 sections of data: "The Why" and "The What". Any thoughts would be helpful but I would even take someone letting me know that it's just not possible so I can quit spinning my wheels! Thanks so much!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dynamic Formatting.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	37091

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You have fields with similar names: Activity1, Activity2, etc? This is not a normalized data structure.

Making that rotated label size dynamic would require some complicated code - not worth the effort in my view.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Yes, those fields are in a table that I do not have control over so I did what I could with what I had... But I do appreciate that you feel that it is not worth the effort. This is kind of what I'm expecting but felt it was at least worth asking the question.

Thanks for your feedback!

CJ_London is offline VIP
    not sure if this will work but you can try something like this in the detail section onformat event

ThewhyBox.height=learningsetting.top+learningsettt ing.height-thewhybox.top

I don't know your control names, so modify as necessary. best not to use spaces or non alphanumeric characters in field/control names - makes code more susceptible to errors

Thank you! With a little bit of manipulating, this worked beautifully!

June7 is online now VIP
    Okay, not as complicated as I thought. I mistakenly thought "The Why" label had to re-size as well. Glad you have a solution.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Oh, no worries! Thanks for giving it some thought

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.