Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    GraeagleBill is offline Experienced Old Geezer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

Copying a non-shared back-end mdb while opened

I'm in the midst of creating an archiving function on one of my apps. Given a single user and a backend mdb essentially quiesced of current activity, is there a danger in initiating a copy of the mdb?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Simple answer is No. Copying manually or by code is just copying. However, some network systems might prevent programmatically copying files. I had that issue. When IT updated systems, I lost ability to programmatically copy files, very annoying. Programmatically copying was how I delivered revised frontend to users workstations. IT messed that up.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks June,
    I thought so but thought it wise to touch base with someone like yourself or others with more experience than I have with such matters.
    Bill

Hey June,
    I'm just now getting around to copying the current mdb backend and hit a runtime 70 permission error. (Screenshots below reveal both file names while in Debug)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	37114

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	37115

Any idea what that might be about?
    Bill

Hummmmm! Some online comments suggest that one can't copy the backend if it's open. In my case, that would mean I need a companion app that gets its "Things to do" outside the primary app.

June7 is offline VIP
    Sorry, I missed the 'while open' qualifier. Why would backend be open? The copy should work as long as there are no active connections - no query or bound form or report open in the frontend - it does for me.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

The copy should work as long as there are no active connections
    There are many foreground->background links active. I would have to add a few lines of code to break the links, perform the copy and re-link as required. And yes, sorry for not having mentioned that the backend is open.

June7 is offline VIP
    I am not talking about links set with Table Links manager. Those do not interfere with copy.

AH! Okay, I can take care of the bound forms, etc. The app has a general module "front gate" that I'll give the copy task to.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    hit a runtime 70 permission error
    help to know the error message, but I can see you have a bracket in the file extension for the destination

June7 is offline VIP
    Actually, I think you mean a parentheses. Brackets are [ ] and braces are { }.

But good catch, Ajax. However, copy will still fail if the backend file is open or frontend has any active connections. Already confirmed that.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    I stand corrected

The app is such that the path to the archiving utility involves two bound forms. I can close the two forms "behind me" (I think), do the copy and re-open the first of the two forms without too much confusion with what the user would see. I can't get to that for several hours from now. It's 8:15AM in California.

And yes Ajax, good catch seeing the trailing parentheses.

A run-time error 70 is "Permission Denied", so that's the only error message displayed.

Just to keep the thread up-to-date. With all bound forms and reports closed and only one un-bound form where the copy is attempted the Filecopy still fails with an error code 70 and message "Permission Denied". I put the Filecopy in the general module "app's front-gate" to test the copy itself and it works perfectly there. (BTW, I did loop and display the contents of both the "Forms Collection" and "Reports Collection" to verify nothing was hidden.)

I'm re-thinking the approach. (BTW, every developer with any experience understands the pitfalls of post specification add-ons........... no exception here.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.