Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Western_Neil is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Thanks ridders52 Still need the meanings to pop into my head, and not make my head pop. Comes with use and correcting errors (an old boss insistence on the correct use of error and mistake, we use one way to much)

accesstos is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi to all!

I have made my "Family Tree" in Access with a unique table (tbl Persons), a few complex queries and a few recursive VBA functions.
    My attached suggestion is based on the same methodology.
    In the picture below we can see the schema of the query "AllUnits" with the relations of each unit (a record) with its table.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qryAllUnitsSchema.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	245.2 KB 
ID:	37017

And the view of this:

Name:	qryAllUnits.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	37018

A UDF named "UnitPersons" in the query "qryUnitPersons" counts properly the Quantities of each unit.

Name:	qryUnitPersons.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	37019

Hope it helps!

Best regards,
    John
    Attached Files Attached Files

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    John
    Thanks for sharing that recursion example
    That's 11 self joins on the same table if I correctly understand what you've done.
    Will study it properly tomorrow but it looks extremely useful for other purposes

Would you be willing to share a similar sample for your family tree so I can picture how that works
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ridders52 View Post
    John
    Thanks for sharing that recursion example
    That's 11 self joins on the same table if I correctly understand what you've done.
    Will study it properly tomorrow but it looks extremely useful for other purposes
    Colin
    You are welcome!

Yes, you understand correctly. All these linked "tables" are instances with aliases of the unique table of the database named "tblUnits".
    I think that is the perfect way to model "fractals" of the same class of objects.
    Would you be willing to share a similar sample for your family tree so I can picture how that works
    With pleasure, I attach my "Family Tree" database (GenTree) for probing. Remember that is just an uncompleted project yet, for self-use and until now it lacks of any (grafical or not) reporting about the genealogical tree, but I intend to make it at a later time. For now, it just keeps basic details of persons and their parents, who are persons with parents and so on.
    I don't know anything about the genealogical tree applications structure, but I can't think anything else of recursion to modeling the real genealogical trees of nature.
    I hope that you will find it interesting and useful.

Regards,
    John

Western_Neil is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    John, Thanks and Wicked.

Looking a gift horse in the mouth, I notice it uses SubUnit1, 2, not a normalized structure (and when did that matter). The example TOE that I posted goes 4 deep and I think I seen 8 deep so with a Safety Factor that gets into the tens (lots of nulls). Need to think about this.

I'm going have to study this, and understand it because it could be a game (design) changer.

Thank you for showing this.

HI John
    Unfortunately my knowledge of Greek is non-existent so I'm going to need to gto through each form and translate to be able to try this properly
    I've already removed the captions in each field in tblPersons but of course each of the forms also need modifying.

Thanks anyway however.
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

Windows XP Access 2007
    HI John
    Unfortunately my knowledge of Greek is non-existent so I'm going to need to gto through each form and translate to be able to try this properly
    I've already removed the captions in each field in tblPersons but of course each of the forms also need modifying.

Thanks anyway however.
    Hi Colin!
    I apologize for this omission. I didn't have time to translate the Greek, but, as you see, there are only at the user interface level.
    This is the translated version (GenTreeEn.zip), as far I could, at least at the most important control's tips and captions.

...I 'll be back for this topic discussion.

No need to apologise. Thanks for modifying various captions

A couple of things:
    Form frmNewPerson has several items in Greek that I can't edit - I realise that its a background image so I'll just modify that form
    Can you please just confirm whether forms - Form1 & Normal are actually used anywhere or can I delete them?

Just out of interest. Are some of the forms based on an MS template?

Windows XP Access 2007
    No need to apologise. Thanks for modifying various captions

A couple of things:
    Form frmNewPerson has several items in Greek that I can't edit - I realise that its a background image so I'll just modify that form
    Can you please just confirm whether forms - Form1 & Normal are actually used anywhere or can I delete them?

Just out of interest. Are some of the forms based on an MS template?
    The Normal form is the template form for the new forms to be created, and, of course, in this case, you can delete it.

I have a few years to attend to this project and, at this time, I don't remember what I was trying to do with Form1. It select a person randomly and the Object Dependencies window says that frmSearchPerson depends on it, but seems that all works fine without it. Maybe is a garbage from some testing.
    I warned you that is under construction. :-)

In "New Person" form, I modified to English the ControlTip Text and the Format properties of the fields that accepts user inputs.
    I hope that my English is better than your Greek. :-D

I prefer to building my forms (and reports) from scratch, so I don't use any template.

Thank's for the getting back to this project. :-)

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Western_Neil View Post
    John, Thanks and Wicked.

Looking a gift horse in the mouth, I notice it uses SubUnit1, 2, not a normalized structure (and when did that matter). The example TOE that I posted goes 4 deep and I think I seen 8 deep so with a Safety Factor that gets into the tens (lots of nulls). Need to think about this.

I'm going have to study this, and understand it because it could be a game (design) changer.

Thank you for showing this.
    Neil, I completely agree with you about nulls and normalization, but, this case is a special case, and seems to be by definition relational unregulated.

Maybe you need an hierarchical structure instead a relational, to describe the project that you trying to model. In terms of your first example, it seems to talk about for units (or classes) that creates a parent-child structure of relationships (like the file system of our operating system). In this case, The fields UnitID and UnitFK, constructs the interface of the unit (in-out) and relates to the parent and to the child units respectively, and the SubUnitFK is the "node" to a third same unit.

Unfortunately , I can't go further at this moment.
    I have a trip to do and I'll be back in a few days.

Best regards,
    john

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.