Fyresparxx is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

How redundant do tables need to be?

I am a complete Access beginner trying to set up a parts price database for a small manufacturing business. We only check stock levels once a year.

I want to be able to enter a vendor, a part number, a date, and our cost, and then be able to look up what our sell price was for a particular item on a particular date, or what our current sell price should be. I want to enter quantities once a year and look up the total value of everything we have for that year's taxes.

When I order a part, I order it from whatever vendor has it for the lowest price, so one part might have 3 part numbers.

For some items I might order 20 pounds of a material, enter our cost for 100 pounds, and then look up our sell price for one square foot.
    For other items I order a box of 50 and then look up the sell price for one.

Do I need a table of every part I have, and another for each vendor that lists every part they sell us? Do I need a table that is just every part and all possible part numbers for that part?

Do I need to separate items by how we buy them? (By weight, by length, by number?) What about if some vendors sell the same part by weight, and others sell it by piece?

What about when the same vendor uses two different part numbers for the same material depending on the amount bought? (The part number for a 5X10 sheet is different than a 4X8, but the sheet is sold per square foot, so the cost per foot is the same)

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I'm not sure what your expectations are for a response. Your post isn't too detailed.
    I'm offering links that may help.

This is a 26 minute video on Stock Management by SoftwareMatters
    This is a site with several generic data models (Barry Williams Database answer dot org)

A list of various articles on Database Planning and Design <==I recommend the tutorials from RogersAccessLibrary in this reference. You have to work through them, but you'll learn.

Good luck.

GinaWhipp is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 32bit
    Hmm, perhaps this will help answer your questions...
    https://www.access-diva.com/dm12.html

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.