Glenn_Suggs is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Shift key doesn't bypass ODBC connection

Hello everyone... I have run into a problem I have not seen before and I hope someone here can help me find a solution. I compile my application into an ACCDE file before I deploy it but I turn off the shift key functionality before I compile it. Then I turn it back on so I can get into it later and make changes. The shift key is not doing its job this time and one of the ODBC back-end tables is being accessed on startup and crashing the program before I can even look into the problem and make any changes that might be necessary. Does anyone know how I might get around this?

Thanks in advance,
    Glenn

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    is this code running from AUTOEXEC macro?
    what runs it?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    did you make changes with respect to linked tables? Perhaps the db is attempting to resolve a link in a new table and cannot for some reason. Methinks the table links will be resolved regardless of your shift key property setting, although whether or not a user has rights to a table won't be resolved until the user attempts anything that accesses it. That might be immediately if startup code is attempting access data to (for example, validate a user).

Can you open the be by itself without any issues/warnings? If so, can you open all the linked tables in the be?
    If yes, then perhaps your attempt to alter the shift bypass property wasn't successful, or you actually forgot to do it.
    In those cases, you'd need to write code in a new db to set the property in the target db.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Glenn_Suggs is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    did you make changes with respect to linked tables? Perhaps the db is attempting to resolve a link in a new table and cannot for some reason. Methinks the table links will be resolved regardless of your shift key property setting, although whether or not a user has rights to a table won't be resolved until the user attempts anything that accesses it. That might be immediately if startup code is attempting access data to (for example, validate a user).

Can you open the be by itself without any issues/warnings? If so, can you open all the linked tables in the be?
    If yes, then perhaps your attempt to alter the shift bypass property wasn't successful, or you actually forgot to do it.
    In those cases, you'd need to write code in a new db to set the property in the target db.
    Thanks Micron.... I think I’ve found a solution to the problem but I appreciate your quick response. Your reply has supplied me with information I think could very well be useful in the future. As it turns out, I was able to go to the Admin Tools section of Windows and change the login for the ODBC tables (DBA had changed it without informing anyone) before going into MS Access at all. Then I was able to open the database and make my modifications and once again... all is right with the world!!!
    Thanks again... Glenn

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    You're welcome. When you deploy changes do you not keep a new fe copy with the bypass enabled to endure you can always recover? That and having a signal for you to know its state might be useful. The signal could be an opening form label colored differently.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.