nick243 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2002

DoCmd Run SQL

I am running this code and it seems to want to capture the time not the date from the form I am using. I want to insert the values into the transaction log table and it fails with the run time error 2501 and cannot append this sql to the table. It is showing the current time in the date time stamp but I need the date also.

If (IsNull(before![SECURITY ADMINESER]) = False) And (IsNull(before![SEC SUBSYSTEM INDEX]) = False) And (IsNull(before![PROFILE INDEX]) = False) Then

DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO [transaction log] ([user name],[secuirty system adminastrator],[sub-system],[profile],[date/time stamp],[before/after]) " _
    & "VALUES ('" & GENERAL.HOLD_UINDEX & "','" & before![SECURITY ADMINESER] & "','" & before![SEC SUBSYSTEM INDEX] & "','" & before![PROFILE INDEX] & "','" & Forms![user]![DATE/TIME STAMP] & "','" & "B" & "');"

The error also shows that it is a type conversion failure and set 0 fields to null because of it. I also got an error saying two tables were out of sync and the obligatory contact MIS.

The bold is where I think the issue is. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
    Nick

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Use # instead ' to delimit parameter for date/time field type.

If a field is number type, do not use any delimiters.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

So I checked above the code I posted here and the Forms![user]![DATE/TIME STAMP] is = to the now () function. I read that the result of this Now () function is a delimited result not a number type. I checked the table and the field is a Date/Time Data type. Is this a correct assumption? What type of data is needed to insert into a Date/Time field?
    Thanks,
    Nick

June7 is offline VIP
    date/time data goes into Date/Time field.

Now() returns a full date and time value.

Date() returns the date part (time part will not show and would be all 0's if it did)

If you don't want user to select value for [date/time stamp] field then don't reference a textbox. Just reference the Now() or Date() function in the SQL.

Regardless of which you use, don't use apostrophe delimiters when field is date/time type.

BTW, advise not to use spaces nor punctuation/special characters (underscore only exception) in naming convention.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    date/time data goes into Date/Time field.

Now() returns a full date and time value.

Date() returns the date part (time part will not show and would be all 0's if it did)

If you don't want user to select value for [date/time stamp] field then don't reference a textbox. Just reference the Now() or Date() function in the SQL.

Regardless of which you use, don't use apostrophe delimiters when field is date/time type.

BTW, advise not to use spaces nor punctuation/special characters (underscore only exception) in naming convention.
    So I changed the ' to # and there was still an error that said I made a key violation. I looked this up and it says to look up the destination table and make sure that you are not violating any Fields. My index field is set to Yes (no duplicates). How can I get around this? My table is usually blank with only the one record. So how am I creating duplicates?

Thanks,
    Nick

Nick,
    You may get more focused responses if you provide a copy of the database and some instructions to show the problem.
    At the bottom of June's posts there are instructions for attaching a data base to a post.

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Nick,
    You may get more focused responses if you provide a copy of the database and some instructions to show the problem.
    At the bottom of June's posts there are instructions for attaching a data base to a post.
    Thanks Orange,

I think this would be tough since all of the data is on an ODBC server. Would I be able to still provide the needed data?

June7 is offline VIP
    Can build/import the necessary tables into copy of frontend or another Access file, just need a few records, run compact & repair, zip files.

The reference GENERAL.HOLD_UINDEX could also be causing an issue because of the period. Is before the name of form?

There are misspelled words in the SQL statement. Have you really used these misspellings as the field names: secuirty, adminastrator, admineser ?

I am not familiar with the error 'two tables are out of sync'.

Why would a [transaction log] table have only 1 record?

Since you reference a textbox for the date value, need # delimiters. If you used the Date() or Now() function would not.

User name = 1743 Security system administrator = 12 Sub System = 28 Profile = 177 Date Time Stamp = 1/7/2019 1:26:06 PM Before/After = B

Transaction log Other Columns: Index (Auto Number), msrepl_Tran_Version

Here is the error I'm getting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MIS.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	36814

I tried to enter the data manually into the table and got this error
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ODBC.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	36815

June7 is offline VIP
    If fields are number type, do not use any delimiters. Text fields need apostrophe delimiter. Already noted what is needed for date/time type.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.