braincrush is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Report windows won't open after layout edit.

Hi everyone, i have an odd issue with the database, i've edited layout of couple of reports in a database and after sending it to the person that is using them they will not open, no errors nothing the menu window form disappears and that's that, I have noticed that I can make them work again by just going into layout editor making a small change then save.

Any idea what can cause the mentioned symptoms please ? I cant say i'm particularity fluent in access so not sure how to diagnose it properly either.

Any help greatly appreciated !

Seb

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I think you need to provide more info or post a sample for analysis.
    Does it work ok on your dev. machine? Is you user using the same versions? are they using runtime?
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by "menu window form"

Windows 10 Access 2016
    sorry, i will try to explain the situation better : everything worked fine on my machine, it's when the user opened it on their system the report window failed to open.
    as for the menu window form - the database is a little program for the company and they're using it to keep a list of customers, services and to create orders, invoices and confirmation letters, after opening the db you're greeted with a menu screen with various buttons for each section eg. customer list, order screen, invoices etc. after you click on invoices the next dialog asks to choose the customer and the order from two dropdowns, after choosing both the raport pops up ready to print or save as pdf, when the problem occurs the last screen is not being displayed so the dialog with choice disappears and nothing else happens.

As i mentioned, i'm rather beginning with the access and don't even know if there are logs available for me to see what the program is doing at the time.

seb

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    when the user opened it on their system the report window failed to open
    Sounds like maybe an issue with Trusted Locations or the fact that you're "sending" the db - assuming this means by email. When this user opens the db, are there any warning dialogs? Does it have a message bar at the top of the Access window that indicates protection has been automatically turned on and code/macros have been disabled? Or is all this moot because code/macros run for everything else?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    that was my first thought but they've said that once they received the .accdb file thy've done everything as previously meaning approved the macros.
    Last edited by braincrush; 12-30-2018 at 03:33 AM.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    This isn't getting any clearer to me. Now it's a compact disc database file? I've never heard of using Access for that and would have thought that only CD ripper software (or similar) would be able to make use of it.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I expect its just a typo. For .cddb, read as .accdb
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    it is, thanks ridders52, it was late and i was trying to reply before i go to bed .accdb is what i meant...

If they really have approved the code by clicking the Run Code button, then it may well be one of the following
    1. a missing reference issue.
    2. code or a control hat won't run in 64-bit Access
    3. your code doesn't compile
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    thanks for the suggestions, after i've done the small edit (just resized one element) and re-saved it again it works fine, i have opened it on different system and it still works i still haven't a clue what the reason for the issue is, i thought a can get to the bottom of it but i guess for now i will treat it as an anomaly, i will send it to the user and see if it'll work there.

Glad you have a solution even though not an explanation

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.