hammerman is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013

Corrupted Record preventing macro-query to run

Hello: I inherited a 2010 MSAccess dB. The dB contains information about test instruments, which is stored predominantly in 2 main tables. (instrument info; and calibration details).Pertinent information for any asset's data is viewed/edited through a query that joins these 2 tables, (normalized), which is displayed as a datasheet. In editing details of one record, somehow the Primary key/foreign key became corrupted, and the information in most of the other fields of the record became illegible. (looks like a far-eastern language). Information is viewed through one of two macro-driven queries. (one is 'read-only', the other is edit-able). My problem is: the query to display the joined datasheet and allow editing, is not working. The read-only view does work. Error message : "Reserved Error (-1524) there is no message for this error". The P-key of the record in one table was changed to an astronomically larger number. (dB has 3000 +/- records; new key number, just a 'long' not replication; was changed, the new key is > 75xxxxxxxxx!).
    Problem occurred after editing the record in the datasheet view, I opened a different table; I was prompted to save the changes, replied 'yes', and that's when the corruption occurred.

I have encountered this before, more than year or so ago, but am not sure how I resolved this. I've tried, unsuccessfully, deleting info in the fields, and I can't edit Key #, so how can I get this working again? Last backup was too long ago to rebuild onto that. Help!

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    have you run Repair/compact? (after backing it up 1st)

its odd that 1 record would be corrupt and not the whole table.
    is the KEY field and AUTONUM? if so, youd never edit it anyway.
    if so, can you infer the missing#? like above it is 43, and below it is 45.
    then you could recreate another new record and copy 44's children to the new #.

if not AUTONUM, can you manually rebuild it (like above)?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    What do you mean by 'displayed as a datasheet' - are you using forms bound to tables/queries?

Users should not interact directly with tables/queries, only forms and reports.

I have never encountered this.

Have you run Compact & Repair?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

hammerman is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013
    Thank you, Ranman256. I think I figured it out; I closed and opened the dB a few times. that didn't work. I did do the Comp&Repair; then was able to delete the corrupted record. It works now. Data loss is not critical for this record. I can re-create critical info about it to replace the data. And this record is for an item that is being 'retired', (scrappped). Furthermore, this dB will be retired within the year. replacement has been decided. Issue generating the error might be that information shared between linked tables lost the link. I can't explain how, and that's just a guess. Why the info changed 'languages' is ????

thanks for the suggestions.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    If that record was being viewed when the BE connection was dropped, that could easily cause corruption.
    If anyone is accessing your db using a wireless network connection, that will cause issues
    If not already in place, setup a regular backup routine e.g.daily
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.