fishhead is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

just stopped working....

I have an application i created in MSAccess that is supposed to create an .xls file, open outlook and attach it to an email and update some of the email fields. This was working fine for +2 yrs until recently I get the message "Microsoft Access has stopped working" and it closes.

the user has the following installed on their workstation:
    MS Access Runtime 2013
    MS Office Home and Business 2016
    MS Access database engine 2010 (which is required for another program)
    MS .NET Framework 4.7.2 (which is also required for another program)

Operating Sys is Windows 7 pro.

the MSAccess file they are using is an .accdb file

The macro that is causing the crash is:
    EmailDatabaseObject
    object type: Query
    object Name: qUploadShipmentDetails
    Output Format: Excel 97 (.xls)
    to: (xxx@yyy.com)
    Subject: = "Ref" & [forms]![fshptdetails]![field] & " -pickup request"
    edit message= YES

The issue seems to be opening outlook and populating the new email. If i have ACCESS create the .xls file only everything works fine. As soon as i try to automate the application to open a new email and populate it with the .xls attachment and update the fields MSACCESS Crashes. It doesn't matter if Outlook is already open or not.

Can anyone suggest how to get this to work again. MS is 'forcing' us to accept their updates and each time I do I seem to run into a new problem.

thanks in advance

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I don't use macros, but there is a current issue with the vba equivalent of docmd.sendTo where there is a mix of office versions. You appear to have a real mix of versions on an old OS and sending out an even older version of Excel. The solution is to ensure you don't have a mix of versions. Suggest uninstall 2013 runtime. Not sure of your point about 2010 database engine but suggest upgrade to 2016 if there is any code./macros involved. And perhaps upgrade your 21 year old excel format to something a bit more current - suggest min 2010. Might also be worth upgrading Windows 7 since that is not supported either so you may not be getting all relevant patches (or they can't be applied).

Unfortunately life does not stand still - and upgrades are a fact of life. It's years since I used 2007 but seem to recall there was an option where you could turn off automatic upgrades - see this link https://www.wikihow.com/Turn-Off-Win...e-in-Windows-7

fishhead is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Thanks Ajax,
    i agree i have a mix of versions going on here....trouble is i'm afraid to upgrade something at the detriment of something else....

If i uninstall 2013 runtime what should i replace it with 2016? will that cause problems reading my backend files (for another application) which are .mdb format?

I just tried to install runtime2016 on one of my workstations and got an error message saying i have 32 bit programs and can't install runtime 64 bit. then when i tried to install runtime 32 bit i get the error stating i have 64 bit programs. Can you tell me how this works? if the System type is showing 64 bit operating system (under computer properties) does that mean that everything on this computer needs to be 64bit? It seems some of the programs are 64 and some are 32 and this is preventing me from running a more current version of MSRuntime?

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    If i uninstall 2013 runtime what should i replace it with 2016?
    I'm no expert in this but sounds like a plan.

With regards bits - all office apps should be the same bit and clearly you cannot install a 64bit app in a 32bit windows OS. The only benefit of 64bit office is for extreme Excel power users. Unless you want to manipulate spreadsheets with in excess of 1m rows, stick to 32bit. A 64bit OS will run 32bit apps perfectly happily

will that cause problems reading my backend files (for another application) which are .mdb format?
    depends on which .mdb format - you state 97 which cannot be opened in any access version since 2013.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.