d9pierce1 is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

SQL Statement with Dependent Combo

Hi all,
    I started this new form today and I created CboBoxes with wizard. They work fine however, when I tried to make one dependent on the other, I added a WHERE to the SQL which worked but wont let me click on the one I want to add to the record.
    So, on Frm_Main

I am trying to get the Cbo_AccountSource to be dependent on the Cbo_AccountType. It comes up as I wanted, just wont allow to click on anything or saves it as the first one in list.????The form is not done, just trying to get it working....
    The other issue I am having is how in heck do I get the actual AccountName in the TxtAccountName Field. I can get the ID # but not the name.
    DB attached
    Thank you,
    Dave

DataAccountTest.zip

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Suggest code in form Current event as well as cbo_AccountType AfterUpdate to requery the RowSource.

Why not combine AccountName and AccountSetUp tables? Otherwise, CboAccountSetUpID RowSource has to be a query that joins them. Actually, I am not sure why these are not combined with AccountMain.

Band of America ?

All code modules should have Option Explicit in header. Can set up application to automatically include this line.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

d9pierce1 is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Hi June,
    If I put the SQL statement in CboAccountSourceID, it works fine, stores the selection. if I put a WHERE condition in it to get only the AccountSource that is dependent on selection in CboAccountType, then it appears in the dropdown, but wont let me make a selection. Could it be possible that my WHERE clause is wrong? Just wondering...

Code:
    SELECT [Tbl_AccountSource].[AccountSourceID], [Tbl_AccountSource].[AccountSource] FROM Tbl_AccountSource ORDER BY [AccountSource];
    If I add WHERE
    Code:
    SELECT [Tbl_AccountSource].[AccountSourceID], [Tbl_AccountSource].[AccountTypeID], [Tbl_AccountSource].[AccountSource] FROM Tbl_AccountSource WHERE (((Tbl_AccountSource.AccountTypeID)=[Forms]![Frm_AccountMain]![CboAccountTypeID]));

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Why set Caption property in table if you don't use those captions anywhere else?

Change BoundColumn to 1 instead of 2. Don't need AccountTypeID in the SELECT clause:

SELECT [AccountSourceID], [AccountSource] FROM Tbl_AccountSource WHERE AccountTypeID=[CboAccountTypeID];
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.