tim_tims33 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

How to prevent a record being inserted/accepted based on a comparison value in a textbox

Hi,

I'm building a very basic booking system for a leisure club. A facility (a simple room in the leisure club) has a max capacity (e.g. 20 people)
    The problem is that the form allows infinite number of bookings for a facility (See the sub-form below)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	form_Capture.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	36456

In the sub-form, MemberID 4 is making a booking for a group size of 19. This is acceptable as the MaxCapacity for this facility is 20. However, MemberID has booked in a further 2 people, which is invalid.

I have a Macro which I've attached to various events (Before Insert, After Insert, Before UPdate, After Update....) but none work!

Here is the macro below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Macro_capture.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	36457

Unforunately, more bookings can be made even if the Max Capacity has been exceeded!

I think the key to this problem is getting the correct Event to trigger the macro...?

When making a group booking, a MemberID is entered along with the number in the group they are booking in. Here is tbl_Group:

• ClassID (Num)

• MemberID (Num)

• GroupSize (Num)

Here is tbl_Facility:

• FacilityID (Num)
    • Name (Text)

• MaxCapacity (Num)

Please help me, if you can, to reach a solution whereby if the total of entered [GroupSize] values exceeds [MaxCapacity], the system won't allow it.

thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Seems BeforeUpdate is the appropriate event to validate data.

Certainly if the availability is not less than 1, the code will allow the booking record for any size group.

Since the record is not yet committed, compare GroupSize to txtSpaceRemaining:

If Forms!frm_Class!subformname.Form!txtGroupSize > Forms!frm_Class!txtSpaceRemaining Then

I don't use macros, only VBA.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

tim_tims33 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Seems BeforeUpdate is the appropriate event to validate data.

Certainly if the availability is not less than 1, the code will allow the booking record for any size group.

Since the record is not yet committed, compare GroupSize to txtSpaceRemaining:

If Forms!frm_Class!subformname.Form!txtGroupSize > Forms!frm_Class!txtSpaceRemaining Then

I don't use macros, only VBA.
    June, interested to see what a VBA solution would look like for this... would you be able to provide a 'rough' idea for me?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You could convert the macros to VBA https://support.office.com/en-us/art...ertmacrostovba

Then replace the If line.

Be sure to use a copy of your db to try this.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.