kaaate is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Unhappy Data in Report View and Print Preview different

Hello,

I'm very new to Access and still teaching myself so apologies if I miss anything.

I've created a sub report [Project Financials Income subreport] and need to have the values of the sub reports calculated in the footer of each grouping of my main report.

I'm using =IIf(Not (IsNumeric([Project Financials Income subreport].[Report]![Text40])),0,[Project Financials Income subreport].[Report]![Text40])
    (Note: [Text40] is a =Sum formula located in my subreport Report Footer)

This field calculates correctly in Report View/Layout View but incorrectly in Print Preview (see red circles).

Report view
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	report view.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	36442

Print preview
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	print preview.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	36443

Does anyone have any suggestions on why these values are different in the different views? Or another formula I can try that might work in print preview?

Thank you :)

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Always use print preview.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Stated problem: totals are wrong in print preview. Suggestion: always use print preview. Am I misinterpreting something

Where/how are the calculations being performed? Group header/footer in code? Group header/footer on report? Section header?
    What about the other report columns; do they calculate correctly?
    Are you switching views and causing the problem (indicates calculations being repeated by code) or does it also fail if you open in print preview only?
    Does it calculate correctly if printed?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

kaaate is offline Novice
    Hi Micron,

Thanks for the response. The below is the [Field Name] - Location/Location - Formula of all relevant fields:
    1. [2019-2020] - Subreport [Project Financials Income subreport]/Design View/Detail - [2019-2020]
    2. [Text40] - Subreport [Project Financials Income subreport]/Design View/Report Footer - Sum([2019-2020])
    3. [Text173] - Mainreport/Design View/Group Footer - IIf(Not (IsNumeric([Project Financials Income subreport].[Report]![Text40])),0,[Project Financials Income subreport].[Report]![Text40])

All other report columns are calculating correctly in both views.
    The field does not calculate correctly when opening print preview only (not switching views).
    The field does not calculate correctly when printed.
    The field only calculates correctly when opening in report view/layout view.

Hope this helps

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I cannot replicate this issue.

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    RE #3 - this behaviour can occur when you sum on control names rather than their field names. You might try replacing text40 with the field name. As mentioned, a copy of the db might be required as I find report problems difficult to diagnose when there's so many design variables, plus I'm afraid your last post doesn't make much sense to me. The IIF expression makes me wonder why you'd need to worry about whether or not the contents are numeric.

June7 is online now VIP
    @Micron, don't understand your post. AFAIK, aggregate functions cannot reference control names, only field names. Also, Text40 is an aggregation calculation control, not bound to a field, so how can a field be referenced instead?

IsNumeric should work, but perhaps instead try Nz([Project Financials Income subreport]![Text40],0)

I always name subform/subreport control different from the object it holds, like ctrFinancials, then code: Nz([ctrFinancials]![Text40],0)

Note that .[Report] is not needed when using ! (bang).
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    I've seen this happen where the report contains objects that reference form controls but the form has been closed before opening the report in print preview
    If this matches your situation, try saving the values as variables (or tempvars) and referencing those instead.
    If using a variable, you may need to create a function that pulls that value for your report
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    aggregate functions cannot reference control names, only field names
    'fraid I don't understand yours either. Isn't this what I said
    this behaviour can occur when you sum on control names rather than their field names
    As for the rest, I was referring to the report itself, not some expression used just anywhere in general but I could have made that more clear I guess. In other words, I'm saying the issue can be caused when a calculated control (such as one with a running sum) refers to a control rather than the field it's based on. To avoid this, I don't just not give a subform control and the object it holds the same name, I don't allow any control to have the same name as the field it's based on. The exception might be when I'm trouble shooting for a forum as I don't care beyond solving some unrelated issue.

June7 is online now VIP
    Referencing a control name in an aggregate function returns #Error output on form and in report I get an input popup prompt. Therefore, I don't see how referencing control in aggregate function can produce behavior described by OP - which is the report calcs correctly in ReportView not PrintPreview. If control was referenced, the calc would bomb in either view.
    Last edited by June7; 12-11-2018 at 03:11 AM.

kaaate is offline Novice
    Hi all,

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions but unfortunately I couldn't figure out a solution to the issue, so I've reworked my source data to get rid of the subreport completely. A little more work for me preparing the data, but it meant I could get rid of the subreport which I don't have too much experience using, and just couldn't seem to produce consistent results across the views.

Thanks again!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.