roaftech is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Legacy compatibility

Is Access 2003 compatible with Win 10?
    I work with an aid organisation that relies on donations, including for our computers which means that most of them are XP machines. I have a database of aid donations for the past 8 years, the database is built on Access 2003 and I have no problem with continuing to use it as such. However, we have recently acquired a laptop running Win 10 which has Office 2016 installed. Access 2016 will open my database but it does not recognise some of the coding. After closing the database without saving, it then will not run on Access 2003. (Fortunately I used a backup for the experiment)
    So, can I dump Office 2016 (which I don't like) and install Office 2003? This machine does have a 32bit capability.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    According to the FMS website, office 2003 is not explicitly supported but functional.
    Having had significant issues with both Access 2010 and 365 caused by the last two updates to Windows 10, I would anticipate not everything working as it should.
    For example if you use the Windows Common Controls library, you will almost certainly have to rewrite code anyway.
    You may be better off fixing the code issues.

If it doesn't work after reverting to Access 2003, its almost certainly an issue with references
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks for the prompt response. I have started the process of documenting all the database components so that I can identify where changes might be necessary.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Out of interest, what do you mean by documenting?
    Access has built-in tools to do a lot of what you may need including a list of all database objects and their properties. Object dependencies (what depends on what)
    Don't reinvent the wheel if you don't need to do so
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I misread your title, at first thinking it said "Legal compatibility". Which brings me to the point I probably should still make - if you're using such outdated versions in a business capacity for doing things like sending emails (i.e. anything that communicates or reacts with outside entities) and you send/give them a Trojan or virus, you may be legally liable. Obviously that might be country dependent, but it's a major reason why companies here upgrade when M$ stops supporting older versions. Let's face it; many of their upgrades seem to be patches to security holes.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2003
    Micron - thanks for the advice, well worth noting although in my situation Access is used only to generate paper documents for use in-house.
    Returning to my original question - I have found that Access 2003 does work satisfactorily once the library references have been adjusted.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.