stephenvought is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit

After Update event that finds and changes specified records. :-)

Hello!! So, I'm trying to accomplish what the title states. In a nutshell:

I have a form that has a combo box called "Validation Type". This combo box is pulling this row source:
    SELECT tblValidations.[Validation Number], tblValidations.[Validation Type (Short Text)] FROM tblValidations ORDER BY tblValidations.[Validation Number];

Upon updating the Validation Type '15' (other users will input 1 - 14 at different times), I want to find all records in the table "tblObservations" that have the same "Measurement Id" as the record I'm updating, but has a "Validation Type" of any of "1 through 14" (I'm updating validation type '37'), and I want to change the associated field "Cleared By", in all of the validation types 1 through 14, from Null to "Cycle Replaced" which is one of the options in the drop-down list that comes from "tblMasterContacts". This will allow me to omit them from all of my queries, since I already query for the "cleared by" to be Null.

The relationships between all of these tables are quite convoluted, since I was handed this database after it was built by two people, separately, who had no idea how to create a database. It's too late to go back, so I need to make this happen.

The purpose of changing these fields, is that I have a LOT of queries that pull these "validation types" that have "problem" associated with them, but the "cycle" (what year it happened) is not directly associated to the "Measurement ID" that I'm using to report the "problems" .

I'll be sitting here at my desk, having been emotionally demoted from Engineer to Database Administrator, anxiously awaiting help from anyone.

Please be aware that I, like my predecessors, know very little about databases.

Thanks!!

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    make a Select query that pulls the records you want with that critiera.
    using that query to verify the dataset is correct, then you can make an Update query from it to make the changes to that set.

Not sure what happened to the reply I posted with the "+ Reply to Thread", but I guess I'll thank you again. Not sure about an "Update" Query, but I'm sure Google will tell me.

Wish me luck, and thanks!!!!

ranman256!!! The Update Query worked brilliantly!!! Thanks for that!! So easy, too!! Unfortunately, I can't get it to run the Update query upon updating the specific completion date. It will run upon the update of any completion date. Any idea how to have it run on the specific one? Some details are in the original post. I'm not sure what info is needed, but even if I have to get it the rest of the way, you saved my rear!! Thanks again!!!!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.