GraeagleBill is offline Experienced Old Geezer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

Backend DB's on a Google Drive

I have an app that's been in operation for quite some time where the Backend DBs are maintained on a LAN NAS. One DB is the host for "Business" data while the second is for "Personal" data. The user can switch back and forth as desired by simply pressing function key 9 ("F9") on the keyboard. In doing so, the app simply re-links the app's tables to the alternate. So far so good. Now, I have a new user that wants to share DB's between a home desktop machine and a laptop where the DB's are on Google Drive. I'll do a bit more investigation to gather more information here, but for now all I know is that Access is issuing some sort of warning that the backend DB has become corrupted.

The question becomes "so do I need to do something special when DB's are stored on a cloud drive"?

A second question, somewhat unrelated, is there a way to force a constant drive letter to a Google Drive? As one might expect, Windows Explorer on one computer isn't going to know what another computer is assigning. Obviously, unless the user is charged with having to learn how to use the Link Mgr I need to solve this issue as well.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks,
    Bill

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    The question becomes "so do I need to do something special when DB's are stored on a cloud drive"?
    simply, Access does not work on a cloud drive, end of. Suggest you home user looks at using remote desktop or a service such as teamviewer.
    A second question, somewhat unrelated, is there a way to force a constant drive letter to a Google Drive?
    probably not relevant now but always better to use the server path so rather than using

Code:
    E:\foldername

use

\\ServerName\foldername

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Hi Bill
    You should strongly discourage your users running databases with backend files on a cloud drive (or indeed a USB memory stick).
    The risk of an interrupted connection becomes significantly greater and with it the chance of corruption as appears to have happened here.

I don't know the answer to your question about a constant drive letter as I never use this type of setup for the above reason
    EDIT Doh! You would use a fixed or UNC path instead of a relative path as pointed out by ajax
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Access does not work on a cloud drive
    I suspected as much. The user in this case has ready access to Teamviewer, and not being a big fan of cloud services, is what I suggested to begin with.

I don't often get into these kinds of snarls with NAS arrangements, as I more often than not assign a static IP address to the drive.

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks Colin. See my reply to Ajax.
    Bill

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.