sissavior is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2016

Exclamation Request for help on a patient database of repeating examinations at different times

Hello everyone!

I have 3 questions regarding our patient database for a study. Sadly my personal effort could not help me any further.

We have a multitude of patients which have their patient ID as their primary key in an initial form.

Second, there is an examination form which is filled out several times at different times for each patient. And examination date is a field in this form. And these two forms are linked by patient ID.

1) My first question: How do I make a drop-down list of all examination dates on the examination form of a patient? (so that when I open the examination form of that patient, all other examination dates are seen on the drop-down list)

2) How do I link these examination dates to the examination forms? (So that the form belonging to that date comes up when I click on the date)

3) When I open an examination form of a patient, how should I form a macro so that a button moves to previous or later forms of that specific patient (to move through previous and subsequent records of that one specific individual)?

Thank you very much in advance.

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    you can put a subform to show all exams (bound to the PatientID)
    or
    the combo box can show only dates for the patient id
    select [examDate] from tPatExams where [PatientID]=forms!myForm!PatientID

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

It is hard to give good answers because there is not enough info about the dB.

Are you designing the dB?
    Is the dB currently in use?

Would it be possible for you to post the dB? Make a copy of the dB, delete most records - just need a few records for testing. Change any sensitive data.
    Do a compact and Repair, then Zip it before posting it.

Windows 8 Access 2016
    Hello and thank you for your kind attention.

- Yes we are designing the database according to our needs and it is currently being used as new data keeps coming.

- Unfortunately the database is not in English, I tried to translate it the whole day but then the soruce fields get interrupted. If you wish I could reform a new sample from scratch to give you an idea.

I am sorry if the questions are out of context, this is my first exposure to Access.

Thank you.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Any data in context would be helpful. It would be helpful to you and readers if you could provide a description of your proposed study. Start with a higher level overview and gradually add detail in simple plain English.
    Here is a link to some Database Planning and Design information that should be useful. See the tutorials from RogersAccessLibrary in the linked info -work through 1 or 2 to experience the design process.
    Understand and define your needs thoroughly before jumping into physical database.
    Good luck.

Windows 8 Access 2016

Db

Actually, here is a simplified version I have made, to make myself clear.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I took a very quick look at your database.
    -do not use a naming convention that allows embedded spaces --use alphanumerics only
    -name your tables explicitly and meaningfully
    -why have a table and form with the same name??

It isn't the database per se that will help us understand your requirements, it is a detailed description of your "business/processes" that show us what your proposed database is about.

Here is a free, generic data model re Patient Visits from Barry Williams' site that may give you some insight.
    And here is the list of facts/requirements that led to the data model above

Windows 8 Access 2016
    Thank you.

Our database is basically for filling out forms up follow-up visits, which is more practical than with tables. This is the main reason for the same named tables and forms.

I took a look at the diagram. What we are trying to do now is to move through visits of one patient more efficiently. (Let's say to see previous records more effortlessly.) So my idea was to link the dates to the forms but I was not able to.

I hope this explains my initial questions more clearly.

I think you have misunderstood the gist of my posts. I'm suggesting a description of the "business" in order to understand what you are trying to achieve, before attempting to offer ideas for how it might be done with Access. It may be more helpful to you and to readers if you take a specific patient and follow the activities and related info for that patient.

Consider a Patient (Ima Sickguy)

There is a need to identify the patient at the start of any study. This might/could include attributes such as FirstName, LastName, Address, Phone, Date of Birth, Gender, PatientID, Health/status/assessment at start. For each visit VisitDate, Assessment, PatientId, Comments/recommendations....

A Patient could have 1 or Many Visits
    Assessments could be categorized
    A Patient's condition could stable, worsening, improved....

You know your situation and expectations. Readers do not. So, mock up some test data and test scenarios and lead us through the processes -what gets recorded and when, what are typical data values, what do you want to do with any collected data (reports, graphs...)

Good luck.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.