Antflash is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Need Expert Help!! Thank you!

I need some help. I have a data base in MS Access format that I want to send to excel. The database came with a program, but I was able to find the MS Access file that in need in the folder.

The trouble is when I try to open it I get a pop up that says you are trying to open a read-only database. The first time you open an earlier version database, you must be able to write changes to the database. (Then it gives me some suggestions of what to do.)

The properties for the database are not marked as read only. So that didn’t work.

Then I read to try and open a new blank document and import the file in. That seemed to have worked. All the data transferred to the new file. The headings were correct, Name, State, etc. But the data was all gibberish.

I do not have access to the original creator, and my other option would be to re type everything. There are over 1 million entries though, and that would be a little time consuming. Any help would be so great. I obviously don’t know much about this program.

Thank you!!

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Try opening it as read only and then export it to excel or csv file.

Antflash is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thats one of the problems. I cant even open it as a read only file. It will only open through the program. The program has some sort of encryption to it. I cant even open the Access file without going through the program. When I try to open the read only it tells me I have to be able to edit it if I am opening it for the first time. Since it is read only it does not let me open it.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Without an export facility built into the existing program you may be up a creek without a paddle.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.