shylock is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 64bit

INNER JOIN vs LEFT OUTER JOIN

I have a query that joins 3 tables. I want the query to return ALL of the TOP 50 records in the first table as long as they have matching DowntimeEventID's and also the Services that have matching serviceID's from the 2nd and 3rd tables. The problem is that the query doesn't return the rows from the first table (DowntimeEvent) that do not have matching ServiceID's. I suspect it has to do with the INNER JOIN and that it should be a LEFT OUTER JOIN. But I get an error that this type of join is not supported. I am using Access 2013. Can anyone help me? My query is as follows:

SELECT TOP 50 DowntimeEventService.DowntimeEventID, DowntimeEventService.ServiceID, Service.Description, DateValue(DowntimeEvent.BeginDate) AS [Begin Date], TimeValue(DowntimeEvent.BeginDate) AS [Begin Time], DateValue(DowntimeEvent.EndDate) AS [End Date], TimeValue(DowntimeEvent.EndDate) AS [End Time], DowntimeEvent.Description, DowntimeEvent.Planned, DowntimeEvent.ReportedBy, DowntimeEvent.ServerName, DowntimeEvent.UsePhysicalServer

FROM DowntimeEvent INNER JOIN (DowntimeEventService INNER JOIN Service ON DowntimeEventService.ServiceID = Service.ServiceID) ON DowntimeEvent.DowntimeEventID = DowntimeEventService.DowntimeEventID

ORDER BY DowntimeEvent.BeginDate DESC;
    Attached Files Attached Files

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    In Access it's just LEFT, not LEFT OUTER

shylock is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 64bit
    Thanks, Ajax. I modified the query to read LEFT JOIN but get a syntx error on the FROM statement. New Query is shown below. Where am I going wrong?

SELECT TOP 50 DowntimeEventService.DowntimeEventID, DowntimeEventService.ServiceID, Service.Description, DateValue(DowntimeEvent.BeginDate) AS [Begin Date], TimeValue(DowntimeEvent.BeginDate) AS [Begin Time], DateValue(DowntimeEvent.EndDate) AS [End Date], TimeValue(DowntimeEvent.EndDate) AS [End Time], DowntimeEvent.Description, DowntimeEvent.Planned, DowntimeEvent.ReportedBy, DowntimeEvent.ServerName, DowntimeEvent.UsePhysicalServer

FROM (DowntimeEvent LEFT JOIN DowntimeEventService on DowntimeEvent.DowntimeeventID = DowntimeEventService.DowntimeEventID) (INNER JOIN Service ON DowntimeEventService.ServiceID = Service.ServiceID)

ORDER BY DowntimeEvent.BeginDate DESC;

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Your bracketing is wrong in the FROM part of the statement. Use the query builder and compare

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.