Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    The user can simply accept it or change
    that is not what you wanted. You leave yourself open to
    What I want to do is to prevent that somebody will define a wrong number
    Access would check the number once again when the record is entered and should be written in table
    as stated, should be assigned in the form before update event so should not need to be checked - particularly if this is a single user system

We are 16 posts in trying to understand what you require - you are now implying something different from where you started. programming is very 'boolean' either you want something, or you don't.

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I am also still confused with your set up and requirement.
    You have identified the pictures as 1.png, 2.png..
    If you had to describe what you do and what you sell to potential customers, what do you say ---very simple, plain English?

What do you call one of these "assemblies"?
    Are all "assemblies" unique?
    In extremely simplistic terms, what are the components of such "assemblies"? In 3.png, I see 2 distinct "banks" of components. These are (as best I can make out from the picture) 4V1....4V16 and 5v1..5V8.
    What is different in 5V5 vs 5V7? They look similar??
    Would this be a completely different "assembly" if 4V2 was interchanges with 4V12? If so, please explain.

Remember, that readers know nothing about the valve and terminal business other than what you tell us. And at 17 posts and counting, I'm still confused with "WHAT" you do and "what" you need to change to make the process simpler/more manageable.

In many industries, there are a several distinct items which can be combined in several ways to create "products". The items have unique identifiers, the combinations may have some numbering scheme and the products may be uniquely identified with a Product and/or model number. Bottom line is that the item isn't usually defined by its position/location in the product.

Here's a link to an example of selecting items/parts for a computer system.Every selected part has its own identifier. A specific combination of parts makes up a specific computer system.Several computer systems can have many similar parts and some distinct. Each completed computer system could have its own unique identifier and a parts list.

If you have an development database could you please post a jpg/png of the tables and relationships.

PeHa is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016
    Hi Ajax, thank you for help. I think this could work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    We are 16 posts in trying to understand what you require - you are now implying something different from where you started. programming is very 'boolean' either you want something, or you don't.
    What is new? The question was the same all the time - how to automatically number the records categorized in groups. How to find a first free number and assign it to a record. As I mentioned at the very top - I am new in access and can't know if the solution is a special table formula, a query, or if is better to split the records to many tables. It seems that the form is the solution. Well, it takes 16 posts, sorry for that. As I will be more familiar with access I will know better what I look for....

PeHa is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016
    orange, I am confused in your questions
    It seems that my original question has been answered. "how to automatically number the records categorized in groups. How to find a first free number and assign it to a record". The aim was to prevent that somebody will use the number that is already used for another record. It is probably my fault that I used words valve and terminal.

If you want to understand our business - we built up production machines (see https://youtu.be/pGS6oGVZfPA for example). The movements are made by pneumatic cylinders. The cylinder is controlled by valve. The valves are grouped to unites called valve terminals (nice description here https://www.machinedesign.com/news/v...ove-efficiency). If you need more information please use google. You will get the description in better English, than mine

How is it related to database? The machine consists of many components. The components must be numbered because of many reasons. We simply need to identify each single valve, sensor, cylinder... Therefore, we consider making the database where we put all these information. Moreover, the components are related somehow. We need the document where the relations are described. E.g. valve "A" controls the pneumatic cylinder "B". The piston of cylinder moves when the valve opens. When the cylinder "B" reaches the final position, the sensor "C" switch on. It makes sense to write such relations to a database, does it?

And why is the name of the component related to its location? Well, there can be hundreds valves on a machine. So, they are grouped to terminals. It makes sense to put the number of terminal in the name of the valve. What happens if we need to move the piston of pneumatic cylinder "B"? The main control unit knows that the cylinder "B" is connected with valve "A", which is the third valve in terminal "1". There is a industrial communication between control unit and terminal. The unit says - terminal "1", please switch the 3rd valve.

Comments to my picture 3.png - this is the terminal. There is a electrical connection on the left side of it and there are the valves on the right side. Some of them are same, some of them not. Like 60W and 100W bulbs. But if the machine open the third valve in first terminal, only valve on the third place will be open. This is the way how is the position related with function... It is kind of address. The postman doesn't care if the first house on the street has the same color as the fourth. He knows only that he must deliver the letter to Downing street number 10. So he goes to tenth house on this street and put the letter to the box. Exactly so, the control unit send the order to third valve on first terminal.

I don not think it is really necessary to understand all these things. I wrote it only because you asked. All important is in the first paragraph.
    Many thanks to all who read my question and think of it.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I am new in access and can't know if the solution is a special
    don't disagree - my point was that your requirements appear to change, which in turn requires a different solution. Developers new to access have not always developed the skill to ask the right question or provide the right information. Hence the questions to clarify.

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    PeHa,
    Thanks for the description and links. Glad you have resolved the "first free number " issue.
    I'd still like to see your tables and relationships.
    Good luck with your project.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.