Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Western_Neil is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    kd2017 is generally correct. A PK (and so FK) does not have to be a number, but unique combination of field(s) describing a record in the table. We often use the autonumber type for this field, making it easier and smaller to handle. (2 Bytes vs many 1 Byte letters). So the first 5 fields in your tblPurchaseOrders will be PK and FKs, most likely numbers. If you use something else (like truck number), you need to make sure that is stays unique no matter what the boss says (he always drives unit 1).

I will stress what KD2017 said
    The user doesn't even need to ever see them
    , but users/coders will assign meaning to them, given a chance. A table of few records is hard not to assume some type of meaning, but 100's of records is hard to keep the PK unique (unless using an autonumber). Mixing the two types might limit you on re-using code.

PK/ID must be an unique item within the table/field that they are a key for.

Orange is right ... Read .. Think .. Play .. Read .. Think etc.

I need to play

GinaWhipp is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 32bit
    Hmm, so here's something to give you an idea...
    https://www.access-diva.com/dm12.html

Note, there are links over to the lower right with some database basics, read them.

I looked through all postings, and it looks something is not clear.
    I'm looking for help to create a data base from scratch based on an excel spreadsheet that we have to manage PO's for our mechanic shop
    Do you want to create an Access database you, some other people, and all PO's are working with in future instead of Excel workbook?
    Or do you want to create an Access database, which reads info from PO's Excel workbook(s) (i.e. PO's will use Excel, all other will use Access)?

abztaffyboy is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Here is a link to various articles re Database Planning and Design.
    I recommend you spend 30-60 minutes working through 1 or 2 of the tutorials from RogersAccessLibrary mentioned in the link. You will learn concepts that can be used with any database. You learn by doing the tutorials.

It is also critical to clearly identify your needs. For that, the tutorial video(s) from BA-Experts (also mentioned in the link) will be helpful.

You need to work from 30,000 ft level to some details, and you know the environment better than anyone. Don't be too quick to jump into physical database. Easier to solve an issue/problem when testing a model on paper with some test data than to "fix" a poorly designed physical data structure and related procedures.
    Good luck.

I very much appreciate your help on this and i look forward to starting the journey of trying to improve the system we have in place

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.