Boltsie is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Mail Merge from Access 2016 encrypted database

Hi,

I am trying desperately to create a connection one way or another from a Word document to an Access Database.

Here is the scenario.

We have a split database, back and front end. The query I wish to mail merge with is in the front end, but uses tables linked from the back end. The back end has a database password on it. I am able to mail merge successfully if the encryption is set to Legacy, but this doesn't provide the security required.

Can anyone please tell me what I have to do in order to link to the database which has default encyption?

If I start from Word and start a mail merge - if I select the front end database where the query is held, it only gives me the options of the tables stored in the front end (not the linked tables or any queries).

If I start from Access and - right click to Export to Word Merge, I have an ODBC Microsoft Access Driver Login Failed alert stating it can't find the file couldn't be found, but the file is it looking for is the path where the database is stored, minus the name of the database, but with a .mdb extention on the folder name?? To make that clearer, if I have the database called Example.accdb stored in C:\Database\Test, the file it states it can't find would be c:\Database\Test.mdb

I'm going round in circles with this one!

If anyone could please help, that would be awesome!

Thanks!

Angie.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    if I select the front end database where the query is held
    Wouldn't you select the back end where the tables you need are located?
    An mdb is 2003 version and earlier. If you're getting a dialog that's looking for .mdb, are you using an import specification? You'd have to edit it, or create a new one that looks for .accdb
    Another possibility is that your link attempt is on the wrong fe (an old one with links to an mdb, not accdb) but I'm not fully understanding - you actually have a folder name that starts with a dot? That's a rare requirement.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

I have the same problem using Access 2016 using a parameter query. These are the steps that I am using in an attempt to create a mail merge to a Word 2016 document.

1. Select the parameter query in Access.
    2. Select "External Data"
    3. Select "Word Merge"
    4. In the Microsoft Word Mail Merge Wizard, select "Create a new document and then link the data to it."
    5. Word opens with a new document and a "Confirm Data Source" message box opens.

If I select the default, I receive the following error:

Mail Merge Wizard - Word was unable to open the data source.

If I select "Show all" and then select:

Confirm Data Source - MS Access Databases via DDE

I receive the same error that Word was unable to open the data source.

When I try to initiate the Mail Merge through Word 2016, the parameter query is not displayed in the "Select Table" message box. If I remove the parameter from the query, the query is displayed in the "Select Table" message box. Also, if I remove the parameter from the query, I do not receive the "Confirm Data Source" or the "Word was unable to open the data source."

Does anyone know how to access the query when the parameter criteria is present in order to complete the mail merge?

Thanks

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Post 3 was moderated, I'm posting to trigger email notifications.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.