Hi
I got two questions that I will post here and in the next message.

I'm doing a Canadian Military Lineage DB and I have got a structure question.

The military have in American terms TOEs (Table of Organization and Equipment, aka Bill of Material). For larger units this can dictated the sub-units (Battalions => Companies). In most cases (~2/3), the larger unit and sub-units are located in the same location, and the sub-units do NOT have a life of their own. For some units the sub-units are located in different places and maybe used to created an new unit, or the sub-units have a different numbering schema. (14 Service Battalion had the 150 Transport Column (Company) assigned, the Battalion was formed after the company, and the company didn't lose it's identity till latter.) At other times the sub-unit has its own military history for a short while until rejoining the main unit (all as a TOE sub-unit). This one can be assumed out but dropping details, but it's almost one of the reasons for creating this DB.

In my current design, Battalions and Companies would be both records in the tblUnits, the TOE would be in tblTOEs link through tblUnitTOEs. There is also a tblUnitCommands that holds the organizational structure (for a version see Lineage_2018-09-03 sm2.pdf)

Question: How to allow for both type sub-units (historical and TOE created)?

I have no idea on this and this has been a long standing question of mine for years. How have you structure this and what problems are there to be aware of?