amaklop is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 64bit

Delete corrupt table - Error database engine could not lock table

Hi

I have a table with a corrupt record (Chinese character in one of the columns). I'm trying write code to resolve this should it happen again. I know ... we should rather try to ensure the db doesn't become corrupted .. however ours still manage to be from time to time.

So the corrupt record is GrnID = 3 in the T_GoodsReceivedNotes table. GrnID is the primary key, autonumber of the T_GoodsReceivedNotes table.

So I figured if I make a copy of the corrupt table excluding the corrupt record then the copy of the table will be clean. Then I can drop the corrupt table, rename the temp table and Bob's your uncle.

So I've managed to successfully :
    a) Identify the corrupt record
    b) Make a copy of the corrupt table excluding the bad record

However when I try to drop the corrupt table I get the following error :

The database engine could not lock table 'T_GoodsReceivedNotes' because it is already used by another person or process

I did originally think it was as the error said being used by another person or process but after closing the back end database (the tables are in the back end by the way) as well as all the forms in the front end database it was still giving the error. I dropped another random table on the back end database just to check the db wasn't opened twice and it dropped successfully. So my conclusion is that it's not dropping it because of the bad record.

Any ideas.

Here is the code.

Set db = OpenDatabase("C:\Matrix\Matrix_be.accdb")
    db.Execute "Select into Temp_GoodsReceivedNotes From T_GoodsReceivedNotes where GrnId <> " & RecKey

db.Execute "drop table T_GoodsReceivedNotes"
    db.Execute "SELECT * INTO T_GoodsReceivedNotes FROM Temp_GoodsReceivedNotes"
    db.Execute "drop table Temp_GoodsReceivedNotes"
    db.Close

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2016
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Ahhh ... ok sorry ...

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    OK, let someone else spend the time

UA are usually pretty sharp at that

I've withdrawn my post

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    amaklop, you were previously called out for cross posting here https://www.accessforums.net/showthr...537#post409537
    AND at AWF yet continue to do so. Doesn't seem to have sunk in.
    Good luck.

Thanks ... The compact and repair worked.

How do you programatically compact and repair? I want to put a button on the front end that the user can click that will do what I just did on the back end database.

If I create a new db and copy all tables accross except the corrupt table, what do I do with the corrupt table? If the compact and repair didn't work, how do you get rid of the corrupt record?

Is it possible to give the user the ability to recover from the corrupt table by clicking a button and me doing this in the back end? I thought it would have worked well if I could have got the code to work

Yes I do lose the indexing and default values of the tables. I have tried to add them again with this :

dbs.TableDefs("T_GoodsReceivedNotes").Fields("Stat us").Properties("DefaultValue") = "New"

And sorry the code I posted previously was wrong. This is the correct code :

DoCmd.RunSQL "SELECT * INTO TempGoodsReceivedNotes in 'C:\Matrix\Matrix_be.accdb' FROM T_GoodsReceivedNotes where GrnId <> " & RecKey

Set db = OpenDatabase("C:\Matrix\Matrix_be.accdb")
    db.Execute "drop table T_GoodsReceivedNotes"
    db.Execute "SELECT * INTO T_GoodsReceivedNotes FROM Temp_GoodsReceivedNotes"
    db.Execute "drop table Temp_GoodsReceivedNotes"
    db.Close

CJ_London is online now VIP
    I can't delete my post, but have edited it. Perhaps pointless since OP has probably had the email prompt, but there is a lot of it going on right now, I've wasted too many hours in the last few days providing detailed responses to find the reason the OP didn't understand what I was saying was because they were mixing in responses from other forums. So I am now going to add repeat offenders to my ignore list from now on (on this and the other forums) - and amak is the first on the list.

Sorry this was a post of a couple of weeks ago (before I knew what cross posting was ... )

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Deleted suggestion.
    Already resolved.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by amaklop View Post
    Sorry this was a post of a couple of weeks ago (before I knew what cross posting was ... )
    This post is from TODAY. You were called out for incorrectly cross posting a week ago 9/23.
    Cross posting isn't a sin. Doing so and not declaring it is. Not acknowledging it and continuing to do so is too.
    I was probably first to put you on a list.

You might be able to redeem yourself in one or more forum members eyes...

Umm ... ok sorry ... I was away on holiday and didn't check the previous post again as it was resolved so I didn't see the cross-post call out on 9/23. I understand why you are frustrated. sorry again

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.