deepakg27 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

How to Get Serial Numbers In Sub Form

Hi Guys,

I am am Working on a billing database. I have a main form frmBill & sub-form frmBillDetails. Everything is working fine.

What I want is to add serial numbers to the subform, if detail is added in product portion. The serial number is only for the display purpose not for data storig purpose. Similarly while printing also need to add the serial numbers to the bill printed format, again only for the display purpose.

I am sure in forum somewhere this question must have been answered but Unable to find the thread. If you could guide me to the same, that would also help alot. If not, please help me how to achieve the required serial numbers.

Awaiting your Guidance and help.
    Thanks and Regards
    Deepak Gupta

Quote Originally Posted by deepakg27 View Post
    The serial number is only for the display purpose not for data storig purpose. Similarly while printing also need to add the serial numbers to the bill printed format, again only for the display purpose
    And when the customer returns later with complaint, and you have nowhere saved the info exactly this product was either bought from you, or has valid warranty at moment?

You need to enter the serial number anyway (to get it into bill), so why not to have a field in BillDetails table for it?

Hi ArviLaanemets,

I think was unable to explain my self clearly. Sorry for that. The Bill# is being saved and also all the products entered are being save with unique Bill Details Id, which is linked to Bill# in main table. The serial numbers are just being used for display purposes on the bill, basically like a Line Number and that also if some product is being entered in that particular line. For example:

Serial Number Product Qty Rate Amount
    1. Cap 1 1 1
    2. Hat 2 2 4
    3. Jacket 3 3 9

Like this it goes on and on. Need serial number to appear only if something is entered in Product Field.

Hope I have been Able to Explain.

Regards
    Deepak Gupta

Then I think you are using the termin "serial number" incorrectly!

The serial number is unique identifier of certain exemplar of certain product. You can't sell several products with same serial number! Even more - there must not be 2 different exemplars of same product with same serial number in whole world. Usually the producer doesn't use same serial numbers for his different products too. So having a product in your bill with serial number identified means, that it's quantity is 1 by default!

Fine, I agree Serial Number as a term could be confusing. All I Need is a row number on the bill, starting from 1 for each bill.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    If you only need this sequence number for display, do it in report. Textbox has RunningSum property that can be used to calculate this number. Doing this sort of calc in query or form is really, really difficult.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

thanks that was what was needed.

regards

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    in a report there is a rownumber feature you can use called running sum - see this link

http://allenbrowne.com/casu-10.html

Link also shows what to do for forms

however I note you do not want a line number if something is missing - your description is vague, does this 'if detail is added in product portion' mean there is a record, or does it mean 'Need serial number to appear only if something is entered in Product Field.', per your next post. and then you say 'All I Need is a row number on the bill, starting from 1 for each bill'. Each of these have a different solution. The above link addresses the last one.

Dear Ajax,

Thanks.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.