Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Can we try to reduce cross posting?

Cross posting is becoming rampant here (or so it seems). The more popular a forum becomes, the more it's going to happen. I only contribute here and in Mr.Excel (Access part only) so the likelihood that I will spot cross posting is pretty low, and I keep a list of offenders who don't acknowledge this transgression when it is pointed out to them.

Ought there to be a "I have read the policy on cross posting" with a link to what it is and why it's not appreciated when done improperly when creating an account? Shouldn't that link be about a policy that says 'if you do it anyway, you run the risk of having your account suspended' ? Or is the status quo good enough for everyone else?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Micron,
    I agree that cross posting without notification can be frustrating. However, some sites don't seem to mind. I like to point it out when I see it and respond with a link to the excelguru post re: How to cross post "acceptably".

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Micron,
    I agree that cross posting without notification can be frustrating. However, some sites don't seem to mind. I like to point it out when I see it and respond with a link to the excelguru post re: How to cross post "acceptably".
    Ditto.
    However, I've been slapped down when I've pointed out cross posting at both Utter Access and Stackoverflow. So I no longer bother at those sites.
    Some new users are genuinely unaware why it matters and very apologetic when it's pointed out.
    However, others are serial 'offenders' who ignore the comments and carry on regardless.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    However, some sites don't seem to mind.
    I guess this is one of them, then?
    I probably should have clarified in the first post that I understand it's OK if it's done 'properly'. I'm taking issue with the ones that don't declare it and don't post links to the other forums. If you had to read a treatise on it when signing up, maybe there's be less of it done improperly.

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I would think a gentle reminder like a msgbox. For new members have it pop up for the first 10-15 posts and then a reminder every 100 or so posts thereafter.

Matrix is offline Admin
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    Thanks for you suggestions! Added a notice to members with less than 10 posts.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for taking it seriously! Hope it helps.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I forgot that I posted this long ago. FWIW, I really like this policy as per post 2 (assuming here that post 2 will never be deleted):

https://www.excelforum.com/excel-pro...-xlt-file.html
    Added a notice to members with less than 10 posts.
    Not sure what that means, but it suggests that as long as I've got 10 posts I can do it without getting any admin notice. I mean, it's still a fairly often occurrence here.

On a related note, I was wishing I could earn 50 cents for every time I've asked people to use code tags both here and at Mr. Excel - some repeatedly. It would more than make up for my investment losses in the markets these days.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

Could we see an example of the notice please?
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Especially when you do it right off the bat

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...e-yourself.85/
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Could we see an example of the notice please?
    The one in post 2 of that link? Hope they don't mind. I draw the reader's attention to the fact that the post is locked until compliance is achieved. I like the policy.

Administrative Note:

Welcome to the forum.

We would very much like to help you with your query, however it has been brought to our attention that the same query has been posted on one or more other forums and you have not provided the required cross-post link(s) here.

Please see Forum Rule #3 about cross-posting and adjust accordingly. Read this to understand why we (and other sites like us) consider this to be important.

(Note: this requirement is not optional. No help to be offered until the link is provided.)

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Not sure if it would be a burden on the mods but perhaps if the post gets reported as a crosspost they could issue a warning to the offenders.
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Windows 10 Access 2016
    IMO the warning isn't sufficient because warnings can be and are often ignored. Not only that, locking down the thread says "we mean business, and oh by the way, if you want to post a snooty or rude reply after the warning, you can't". Maybe someone who posts here knows how that site becomes aware of a cross post that has no links to the other threads. I have to believe that if your thread is locked down because of it, you're not coming back, or if you do, you know what will happen if you don't comply. So all of that means that at least the problem of repeat offenders is eliminated?
    EDIT
    One thing I don't know is how they prevent any further help yet the OP can come back to add links, so I guess I'd be wrong about not being able to flame anyone after things happen.

Since I moderate at Excel Forum, I will attempt to clarify.
    1. We find out about crossposts from members who report it and a post is generated by the system that is only visible to the moderators. The moderator then, posts the applicable notice telling the offender to update the thread with the crosspost information.
    2. The thread is not locked, but if someone posts after the moderator notes the issue, then the moderator hides the response until the OP posts the cross post.
    3. The second offender (who posts after the Mod has taken step 1) is often given an infraction and notified by Private Message of the infraction.
    4. The reprimands are canned responses available to the moderators.

I hope this helps you to understand how this works at Excel Forum.

If a mod or admin have any further questions, you can PM me and I will be happy to share with you any information you need.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you alansidman for explaining how it works. Sounds like a bit of extra work for mods. How would you rate the effectiveness of curbing the practice, especially for repeat offenders?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.