RBolinsky is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Calculated Date Field

Trying to find the easiest and efficient way to add 5 years to a predetermined date.

I have a field in a table (tblAssets) titled Purchased_Date. I want to simply add 5 years to that date and then store it in Replacement_Date. Both of those fields are in that same table (tblAssets).

Expected result is: 1/1/2008 would equal 1/1/2013. I can get the calculation correct by using an expression in a select query. However, i need it to store those values and that is where i keep jacking it up. Something simple im sure.

kd2017 is offline Well, I tried at least.
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    So you need to store a calculated value? That's usually a big no no.

Are you doing this from a form or query? To all record or just a few? How are you deciding which to update?

From the context of your field names maybe it would be appropriate to have a purchase date and "shelf life" field and simply calculate your replacement date on the fly with queries.

armyofdux is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by kd2017 View Post
    So you need to store a calculated value? That's usually a big no no.

Are you doing this from a form or query? To all record or just a few? How are you deciding which to update?

From the context of your field names maybe it would be appropriate to have a purchase date and "shelf life" field and simply calculate your replacement date on the fly with queries.
    Calculating on the fly with a query would be ideal.

armyofdux is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    And from a form

Windows 10 Access 2016
    A query to add five years on the fly to all the rows in your tblAssets might look like this:

Code:
    SELECT *, DateSerial(Year(Purchased_Date) + 5, Month(Purchased_Date), Day(Purchased_Date)) AS Replacement_Date FROM tblAssets
    Let's say you had a field in the table that provides the expected life span of the asset, then some things might be 3 years, others might be 5 years, and you can still query the replacment date in one query. Assuming this field is called LifeSpan and is a number data type in years:
    Code:
    SELECT *, DateSerial(Year(Purchased_Date) + LifeSpan, Month(Purchased_Date), Day(Purchased_Date)) AS Replacement_Date FROM tblAssets

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Oh i see what you mean with the lifespan. That would be a variable that could also be entered. Great idea. For now I think the first will work. It's a new every 5 type of arrangement. Thanks!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    So I am trying to do the second option you gave me.

I was incorrect in some of my naming conventions.

The table name: Assets

The field with the purchased date is titled: PurchasedDate (Data type is Date)

The field I need to update is titled: RetiredDate (Data type is Date)

I added a field: Lifespan (data type is number)

I modified the select statement:
    Code:
    SELECT *, DateSerial(Year(PurchasedDate) + LifeSpan, Month(PurchasedDate), Day(PurchasedDate)) AS RetiredDate FROM Assets

However it doesnt seem to do anything... should this be an update query or select? Trying to enable this on a form.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    The examples I gave weren't meant to be saved to the database. As I mentioned the in a previous reply that's saving a calculated value which is usually a bad idea. That said, only because you asked, even though it's probably a bad idea, what you're looking for is an update query, not a select query.

UPDATE Assets SET RetiredDate=DateSerial(Year(PurchasedDate)+5, Month(PurchasedDate)), Day(PurchasedDate))

FYI that has no where clause and will edit every row in the table. And if you're doing this there is no point in the life span field.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.