jmuirman1 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

How to stop "enter parameter" pop up on switchboard form

Hi,

I have a form that opens upon opening the db. it's just a form (Switchboard) that contains a lot of buttons to navigate to other forms, reports and so on.

I get the pop up parameter asking Beginning date? and then Ending date? This form has worked for years - no problem. I'm always trying to improve the db, but don't know what i did to cause this.

If I "x" out of the first parameter, I get an error message "An error occurred while sending data to the OLE server (the application used to create the object)".

I've tried following several remedies to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    suggests your form has a query recordsource with parameters, or it opens another form with same

Otherwise can't really make any recommendations - what remedies did you try to no avail? save responders from suggesting something and you saying 'I tried that'

Also clarify - is your db split? is it multi user? and if so does each user have their own copy of the front end on their local machine?

jmuirman1 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks. db is not split. it's on a server and three people share. we all have a shortcut on desktop. it's been working fine and we're seldom in the same record. thought about splitting, but don't know how. the db is sophisticated in functionality, though i don't understand code. lately i have had to repair and compact more frequently. is there a way to see where the problems are?

i followed: Examine the Record Source property. If it contains the name of a query, or an SQL statement, then one of the identifiers in the statement may be incorrect, and causing the Enter Parameter Value dialog box to appear. Select the Record Source property box, and then click the Build button . But there is no record source listed.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Having multiple users sharing a single, non-split database, sitting on a network drive, is the sure way to repeated episodes of corruption, as well as speed and timing problems! Multiple users simply have to work off of a split database, with each user having their own copy of the Front End, which contains everything except the data/tables, on their respective hard drives, and a Back End with only the Tables on a shared drive.

Being in forced retirement, I spend 8-10 hours a day here and on other Access forums/newsgroups, and over the past ten years have seen dozens and dozens of reports of non-split apps causing these kind of problems! The really insidious thing is that a non-split app can work for extended periods of time before the troubles begin! But once it does, they become chronic, which is to say they occur over and over and over again!

Here are two tutorials on Splitting a Database:

https://www.fmsinc.com/microsoftacce...abaseSplitter/

http://www.hitechcoach.com/index.php...atid=24:design

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    This form created with switchboard wizard? Most experienced programmers will not use Switchboard. There is a reason MS has deprecated the tool.

If you want to provide db for analysis follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.