Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Little Green Icons Under User Name?

What's with the little green icons under some user names? I tried to search on this to learn of what they are and how they are accumulated but probably have no proper clue as to how to search on this. I never noticed that there were any under my user name until tonight, and I can see that if you mouse over them, they have different popup messages, depending on how many there are.

Seems I have to try harder...
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2016
    A search of this site for "Reputation" found this:

What is reputation?

Reputation is a way of rating users depending on the quality of their posts. If the administrators have enabled reputation, then the reputation icon will be visible in posts.
    Reputation may be positive , negative or neutral . Negative reputation may only be given if the administrator has enabled this. Neutral reputation is only given when the person giving reputation does not meet the criteria set by the administrator to affect someone else's reputation.
    How do I give reputation?
    To give reputation, click on the reputation icon in the relevant post. This will reveal a form to complete with the reputation type and the reason for giving the reputation. If negative reputation is disabled then it will not be displayed in this form. You may not give reputation for the same post twice.
    How do I know what reputation I have received?
    You can view the reputation that you have received in your User CP (User Control Panel) where it is displayed at the bottom of the User CP page. Here you will see the latest reputation that you have received and whether this is positive, negative or neutral. Your total reputation will be shown as series of reputation indicators in your posts and profile. The more positive your reputation, the more positive icons will be shown. The more negative your reputation the more negative icons will be shown.
    How much reputation is given? What is reputation power?
    If the administrator has enabled this, the amount of reputation that each user will give (or take away if negative) is shown in the user's posts as 'Reputation Power'. The value of the reputation power is determined by the administrator and may increase over time depending on the settings they have applied.
    What if I don't want anyone to see my reputation?
    You can disable the display of your reputation by going to your User CP and selecting Edit Options. On this page you will find a check box labelled 'Show Your Reputation Level'. Un-checking this box will remove the display of your reputation and replace it with the Reputation Disabled icon. You can still give and receive reputation while your reputation display is disabled.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit

The reputation points system

As the FAQ article indicates, the RP blobs are meant to indicate those whose advice has been consistently regarded as good.

As I understand it the system works something like this:

When new users join the site, they are awarded 10 points andget one green blob under their name together with a rather twee comment about being on 'a distinguished road' or something like that

Every time someone clicks the scales AND clicks "I approve", points are added.
    It doesn't seem to matter whether you write a glowing comment or nothing at all ...
    ...but please do leave a comment as for the recipient a positive comment can cause a nice warm 'fuzzy' feeling!

Those with most reputation add more points when they use the system as their opinion is deemed to carry more weight.
    New members cannot award any RPs at first

You can see more details about your own RPs by clicking the settings button at the top right of this screen.
    If you scroll down, you will see what your own 'reputation power' is

The number of blobs increases with the number of RPs:
    Up to 100 = 1 blob ; 100-200 = 2 blobs etc up to 400-500 (5 blobs ) then increasing in intervals of 200, so 500-700=6; 700-900=7 etc up to (I believe) a maximum of 11 blobs above 1500 RPs.

The rather twee comments associated with the reputation point blobs on the actual number of RPs rather than the number of blobs.
    This info is from a site admin at AWF which uses the same blob system

User is infamous around these parts

User can only hope to improve

User*has a little shameless behaviour in the past

User is an unknown quantity at this point

User is on a distinguished road

User will become famous soon enough

User has a spectacular aura about

User is a jewel in the rough

User is just really nice

User is a glorious beacon of light

User is a name known to all

User is a splendid one to behold

User has much to be proud of

User has a brilliant future

User has a reputation beyond repute

However different forums use the RP system differently.
    At this forum, members can award points repeatedly to the same person which means the number of blobs can increase quite quickly.
    However, as not all members use the system, that can bias the results
    Conversely at AWF (where a thanks button is available so RPs are much less used), you cannot award RPs to the same person until you have 'spread them about a bit'
    In practice this seems to mean waiting several months depending how often you award RPs before you can return to award additional points to the same person ... which can be frustrating at times.

NOTE:
    The number of blobs against a members name can indicate the quality of the advice given.
    Having said that, even very experienced forum members do have a bad day and occasionally say things that are incorrect though usually someone will step in and correct them.
    Similarly, those new to the forum may have years of useful experience and their advice can be just as valid.

HTH

Last edited by isladogs; 08-29-2018 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Extra comment / corrected grammar
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for the great information. I don't troll very much anywhere else (sometimes in the Access forum on Mr. Excel) so I was totally unaware of "reputation blobs". I have moused over them from time to time, and wondered why a member would put these there and attach little cryptic comments to them. I don't recall ever noticing them under my own member name before yesterday.

I'll mark this as solved.
    Never mind. I see that it's not allowed in this section of the forum.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.