NauticalGent65 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

SQL Server Native Client 11.0 - Some advice please

Good morning AccessForums,

I have posted this question in some other forums - I am casting a wide net because I need some good advice.

We have recently upgraded from SQL Server 2008 to 2014 two days ago and the smoke has finally settled. I thought about making a post about the pit-falls (error 44447 and 44446) but since there are NO entries on this forum or any other I frequent I figured it was so infrequent it wouldn't be worth it.

While I was making the DSN for my App, I chose the SQL Server Native Client 11.0 driver and it worked like a charm on my computer but when I deployed it, no one else could use it. It appears that when IT installed SSMS on my machine, the 11.0 driver was installed and no other machine has it.

I changed the driver to the generic SQL driver and all is right in the world.

My question is this, is it worth my time and effort trying to get IT to push this driver to everyone or should I just leave well enough alone?

We are currently using Win 10 64 bit / Office 2013 32 bit. Our IT department are contractors from General Dynamics and the meet any suggestions like this as an all-out attack on cyber security and my argument is going to have to be ultra-compelling.

The fact that it is working as-is will work against just about anything I can come up with so I am hopping to get some pearls of wisdom from some of you.

Is the juice worth the squeeze?

pbaldy is online now Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    When you cross post you should post the final result everywhere.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Man...I am getting my hand slapped in stereo! UA did provide some answers so I guess I will post it here too.

You guys are like VISA, everywhere I want to be!

From UA member CheekyBuddha:

This 2017 article from MS recommends not to use the Native client going forwards and to use the OLE DB driver instead.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/SQL...QL-server-2017

Doesn't really solve my situation but if I am going to chase this rabbit down a rabbit hole, at least I will chase the right one - until MS changes their minds again...

turbofish is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Here is a slightly different perspective on moving to SQL 2008 to SQL 2014 [or 2016/2017] that doesn't have to do with the connection itself.
    Be careful of cardinality estimator issues.
    You might have to rewrite some of your queries/stored procedures when moving to 2008 since they totally rewrote the engine for the first time in over a decade. What worked great when you were connected to SQL 2008 might totally break in 2014. As an example, when we moved one of our servers from 2008 to 2016, one of our queries went from taking 3 seconds to 3 hours.
    Test, Test, Test before going to production

https://www.brentozar.com/archive/20...h-trace-flags/

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.