WCStarks is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Multivalue Combo-check-box

I recently converted a couple of Combo-boxes in my database to multi-value/select Combo-check-boxes, because it was convenient to be able to make multiple selections in continuous forms, when needed. This works great.

However, there is one drawback. When they were single-value/select combo-boxes, I could quickly copy and paste a value from one combo-box into others, when their values should be the same. This avoided the more tedious process of selecting the value/values in each instance, in such cases.

I now find, that these multi-value/select Combo-check-boxes do not support pasting values into their fields. Anybody know of a workaround to allow pasting into these multi-value Combo-check-boxes.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Multi value boxes take too much VB coding.
    Using single select lists and dbl-clicking it to run append query that adds the item to a 'picked' table needs no programming.
    Just run a query on the dbl-click event.

then in the query, join the pick list table to the data table to pull the needed data.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Multi-value combo-boxes have a built in feature to allow selecting multiple values. I didn't need to do VB coding to create multi-value combo-boxes.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by WCStarks View Post
    I recently converted a couple of Combo-boxes in my database to multi-value/select Combo-check-boxes, because it was convenient to be able to make multiple selections in continuous forms, when needed.
    While you may find it "convenient" to use a MVF, it id difficult to get the data out for reports/forms without code.

I have heard of very few (if any) experienced Access Developers that use MVFs or Lookup Fields.
    The main problem with MVFs is that Microsoft did not fully implement them. What happens behind the scenes (from what I understand) is Access creates a junction table that is not easily accessible.
    You would create the same table if you created a normalized table structure/relationship, but you would be able to access the data in the junction table.

Good luck.... I fear you have created future problems for yourself.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I'll investigate what you have suggested. I should note that I haven't seen a problem yet with MVFs in my reports. The reports were not modified, but they do display the multiple values, just as they did the single values.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.