Sephaerius is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Suggestions on how to build this query(ies)

I'm working on a project that needs data shifted in a way that I've not seen before. The source data looks like this:

UniqueRecord# Bob Smith Phone# 5/15/18 11:00
    UniqueRecord# Bob Smith Phone# 5/16/18 10:00
    UniqueRecord# Bob Smith Phone# 5/18/18 09:00

What I need to have happen, is that I need to append subsequent Dates and Times onto the end of the line, so the resulting like will only have 1 record for Bob Smith, and the Dates and Times following, as such:

UniqueRecord# Bob Smith Phone# 5/15/18 11:00 5/16/18 10:00 5/18/18 09:00

There might be anywhere from 1 to 10, say, appearances of Bob Smith, as he has subsequent appointments that week.

I'm trying to figure out how to build this, so that I can capture the first appearance of Bob Smith, then append out the subsequent dates and times as shown above. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    This is actually a very common topic.

Options:

1. VBA code, review http://allenbrowne.com/func-concat.html

2. A CROSSTAB query that includes a field that calculates a sequential identifier for each UniqueRecord# group. This calculated value become a ColumnHeader in CROSSTAB. Requires a unique ID field, autonumber type should serve. Something like:

TRANSFORM First(DateField) AS FirstOfDate
    SELECT [UniqueRecord#], [PhoneNumber]
    FROM tablename
    GROUP BY [UniqueRecord#], [PhoneNumber]
    PIVOT DCount("*","tablename","UniqueRecord#='" & [UniqueRecord#] & "' AND ID<" & [ID])+1;

3. VBA code that writes records to a 'temp' table
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Sephaerius is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016
    This is really tricky, surprisingly so. I assumed there would be a more straightforward solution. I appreciate those suggestions, but I'm not exactly looking to concatenate the date and times, and crosstab isn't working because I have FAR too many records. This list has over 2000 names, some of whom only have 1 date/time, while others have up to 6, and some even have multiple same-day, in my current dataset, but I want to build it to be flexible in case we get oddballs that have even more.

If anyone has any further suggestions I would be in your debt!

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Only once have I ever encountered a situation where multiple values needed to be concatenated into one field (in my case, comma separated) and with good reason: it violates the normal form and ought to be rarely done. While there might be a good reason as to why you must do this, it's not evident in your posts.

If you have far too many unique values to transpose into fields/columns, then I believe the only solution will prove to be a vba procedure that iterates over a table/query/recordset and appends every value related to the primary key into a new field.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I don't see why the suggested CROSSTAB won't accommodate, other than the DCount() function can perform rather slowly on large dataset.

The 3 suggestions really are the only options I am aware of.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.