tuniwes is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Conditional formatting in report not working after save?

I am applying a straightforward conditional format to a text field that works fine as I am applying it. After saving and closing the report the format is not working?. the applied rules are still there in design mode.

Have done this twice with the same result.

This morning I ran the report again and the formatting was there....closed the database and opened it again...format missing again?

Does anybody have any idea what is causing this please

Thanks

Ian

This is doing my head in!
    Capture 1 below Dept description not formatted......I go to design view copy and past the same field at the end of the report.....both fields conditioned (capture 2)
    Then save and re-open.....formatting gone(Capture 3)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	34629

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	34630

Name:	Capture3.JPG 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	34631
    Last edited by tuniwes; 07-04-2018 at 01:36 AM. Reason: detail added

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    don't have a quick answer - can your provide the detail of your conditional formatting - formula etc and what view are your using? preview or report?

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Here's the formatting pane, I have also tried expression [dept description] like"Perf*" with the same problem

I am using report view but it doesn't work in preview either

Thanks

Name:	Capture4.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	34633

Seems straightforward enough but regret I don't have an answer. The only thing I can suggest is to remove the spaces from your field and control name - it is standard advice because spaces can cause random issues - particularly when one of the words is a reserved word - description in this case - note desc and date are also reserved words.

As an example - put some code behind any event of your dept description control, you will see that the space is replaced with an underline in the sub name

Otherwise, perhaps your form has some corruption, so as a minimum try a compact and repair and then perhaps rebuild your report

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Seems straightforward enough but regret I don't have an answer. The only thing I can suggest is to remove the spaces from your field and control name - it is standard advice because spaces can cause random issues - particularly when one of the words is a reserved word - description in this case - note desc and date are also reserved words.

As an example - put some code behind any event of your dept description control, you will see that the space is replaced with an underline in the sub name

Otherwise, perhaps your form has some corruption, so as a minimum try a compact and repair and then perhaps rebuild your report

I changed the name to dept_desc and the result was the same.....Repaired and compacted....same problem.

I tried to copy the existing report to a new name and every time access crashed

Finally, I created a blank report and copy pasted all fields and controls from the original report I was having problems with and that has solved the problem!

Thanks very much for your help

I created a blank report and copy pasted all fields and controls from the original report I was having problems with and that has solved the problem!
    sounds like it was corrupted.

If this a live db with multiple users it is essential you a) split the db and b) ensure each user has their own copy of the front end. Otherwise you will experience further corruption over time.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    It's a full Access DB that gets data from our ERP system that is automatically updated via an SQL server on the hour every hour(using Macro scheduler), queries run automatically and write the results to new data tables. This is then distributed in full to a network drive that around 100 users download a full copy of on demand(Via a good old DOS batch file)

The end result is very fast and avoids the dreaded blue circle waiting for queries to run

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.