martinmcnally is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Access Runtime Crash

Hi, I am having a problem with Access runtime (2016) I can run my access file just fine using the full version of Access with Office 365. However when I try to open the same file with Access Runtime I get"

Execution of this application as stopped due to a run-time error.
    The application can't continue and will be shutdown.

There is no further information or anything in the Event Log to help.

Any advice as to where to start?

Thanks
    Martin

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    The Access runtime is based on a early version of Access 2016 without features added more recently in Office 365 e.g. support for big int datatype
    If you used any of the new features, the runtime version will nor be able to open it

However, do check the accdb file is fully compiled using the full version before retesting on the runtime version
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

martinmcnally is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    When I try to compile the database to accde it will no longer run any VBA code. For example clicking buttons on forms does not do anything. That happened a while back so we stopped compiling it. Perhaps that is the root of the problem. Any idea how to fix that?

Thanks
    Martin

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Sometimes access turns off the ENABLE ALL MACROS.
    turn them back on.

also,do you know what event causes the crash?
    i had some functions not work in RT, yet do in full Ver.

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Do you have Option Explicit declared at the top of each module?
    Do you have error handling in place?
    Does your code compile?

rspock is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I'm copying a split db to a windows 10 Hyper-V sandbox with the 64 bit runtime installed. Since I'm using the runtime I don't seem to have a way to reconnect the frontend to the backend as when full Access is used. How do I reconnect the front end which will be distributed to several networked computers without Access (except for the runtime installation). Yes, I will be using a shared network directory.

DB Mike is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2019
    I'm having this problem too. A module, which has various SQL statements in it works fine in a Microsoft 365 subscription version, I think must be 64-bit. Trial on a machine without access, using the runtime installer at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rs=en-us&ad=us with an accde version appears to run i.e. forms pop up when expected, data in the backend database ( also Access ) is read and updated etc. When it gets to the module, it crashes. By painstakaingly putting in MsgBox "Point x" prompts ( which means changing the code, making the accde file, copying it to the test machine and stepping through the dialogs! ) I have found certain built-in functions cause the issue. The first one I found and fixed ( thought it would then work! ) was Date() as part of an SQL statement i.e. "... WHERE EV_DATE<Date()". Replacing that with Now() works. Next crash is executing a query with an IIf() Left() and InStr(). I'm guessing all three are broken.

Another interesting angle is that I tried running on another machine which has an older ( 2019 I think ) permanent licence; that complained that the database was 64-bit; my Access install 32-bit. I ran the same 64-bit runtime installer and it works on there.

I'm coming to the conclusion the test machine I have with just the runtime is missing some extra library with those built-in functions and the PC with the 2019 version has that library.

Any ideas anyone?

Windows 11 Office 365
    M365 defaults to 64bit install. Are you sure your using 32bit?
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Windows 10 Access 2019
    Agreed, that's what I have seen, thanks for responding. The application has been developed on M365, the reference to the 32-bit was because I thought it was a useful piece of information that the 64-bit runtime on a 'fresh' machine crashes but the 64-bit runtime on a machine which already has 2019/32-bit full Access licence doesn't.

Windows 11 Office 365
    When it gets to the module, it crashes.
    what module?

Have you checked your references? missing?
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Windows 10 Access 2019
    It's a module I've written i.e. a peice of VBA code. Missing? Well I think so but here's the issue: on the dev machine the references are obviously not missing because it works. On the test/runtime I don't know a way of checking the references, do you?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    VB editor Tools>References. Compare between machines if nothing in the list is marked as "missing".
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2019
    Thanks for responding Micron. How can I tell if a reference is on the target machine?

For example, if in the development IDE I look at a reference - first ( and most likely I think ) in the list is

Visual Basic For Application

that says it is looking for a file:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA\7.1\VBE7.DLL
    Well that doesn't exist on the dev machine but
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\vfs\ProgramFilesCommonX64\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA\7.1\VBE7.DLL
    does. This same file path also exists on the test/runtime machine.
    I have looked at the other references too, and all of the DLLs, .OLB file, and .tlb files seem to match from dev machine to test machine.

Is it the case that, if the file exists ( and was obviously put there by an installer in the past ) then the reference will be linked?
    Any ideas?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.