WCStarks is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Filter Combo Box list based on a selection in another Combo Box

I have two tables, Events and Activities. The child table, Activities, associates members with events. I have a parent form for the event and a sub-form for the activities.

I have a "Role" combo box, in the sub-form, to select from a rather long list of Roles obtained from a table of Roles. These roles are associated with participation in an event defined in the parent Event Form. The Event is defined by a Combo box called "Event Type". It would be helpful to filter the long list of Roles in the child sub-form, based on the Event Type selected in the parent form.

The Role Table record currently includes an ID and a Role.
    I am thinking of adding a 3rd column to associate a set of Roles to an Event Type it would be used with, such as:
    [ID, Role, Event Type]. Then have the Role Combo Box filter its list to include only those Roles associated with a certain Event Type value, while not displaying the Event Type in the list.

I can almost think my way through it, but not quite. Any Ideas would be appreciated.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    This is called cascading or dependent combobox/listbox. A very common topic. Usually the boxes are on same form.

What does 'almost' mean - what have you tried?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Hi Wade
    There's a good example of cascading combos here http://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAcces...cascading.html
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

WCStarks is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    After being asked if I had tried it yet, I was finally able to resolve on my own, how to filter the options in a combo box in a sub-form, based on a value selected a combo box in its parent form.

I need to reference a combo box in the parent form (Events) from its sub-form (Activities). I need to filter the [Role] Combo box options in the Activities form, depending on the value selected in the Events combo box, [Event_Type].

Role_Act is the control table for the Activity Roles. The record structure for Role_Act is: [Role, Ev_Type], Where Ev_Type has a value of “All”, or of one or more values which match Event Types. I added Ev_Type to specify which Event_Types each Role should be associated with.

Here is what I ended up with, and it seems to work. I borrowed some syntax from how Colin showed me, earlier, to toggle the sort order of a Combo box. I am still fairly new at this stuff, but as new problems are resolved, my horizons slowing expand. Thanks to you all for your help.

Private Sub Role_GotFocus()
    Me.[Role].RowSource = "Select [Role_Act].[Role], [Role_Act].[Ev_Type]" & _
    " From [Role_Act]" & _
    " Where InStr([Role_Act].[Ev_Type], [Forms]![Events]![Event_Type])" & _
    " or [Role_Act].[Ev_Type] = 'All';"
    End Sub

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.