jmccown is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

How can Access 2013 be shared online for collaboration?

It appears that SharePoint no longer supports Access? Is this accurate and/or is there another method that full collaboration is possible with multiple users accessing at the same time?

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Network:
    use a shared folder on a network, put the backend (tables) there,
    then give every user a copy of the front end. This works VERY well.

Web server:
    access doesnt work will on web platform (multi threading)
    youd want another db (mySql or Sql server) for the web,
    then use Access as the front end to read the sever db.

A shared folder like SharePoint? I'm not sure what you are referring to. Will this work in OneDrive?

Beetle is offline Unrelatable
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What ranman means is a shared folder on a LAN. You store the back end in shared folder on the network, then each user has a copy the front end. But, again, when it comes to Access with a Jet/Ace back end, this only works well on a LAN.

If you're talking about using Access in a WAN or internet environment, Access is simply not the right tool. Within the last couple of years MSoft had made an attempt at implementing Access web applications, using Sharepoint lists for data storage, but it was essentially a failed project and has been scrapped. As ranman also mentioned, you can have some success using another db for your back end, with Access as the front end, but even in this scenario you need to be careful how you design your queries, forms, criteria, VBA functions, etc. You need most of your data processing to happen on the server side and just return the minimum amount of records that are needed in order for performance to be acceptable.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Will this work in OneDrive?
    definitely not. Your requirement is vague, there are many ways of sharing so be more specific - users are based where? home? office? hotel/coffeshop/ client? on the train? other countries? users all have the same devices? windows laptop? tablet? mixture of OS? what are users doing? inputting data? pulling reports? editing the database design? how many users in total? how many using concurrently? etc

Be aware if it involves the web, it won't be free

Thanks, Ajax, I will clarify a bit. This Database would need to be accessible via iPad and/or iPhone from the field all with the US, so I assume that means web-based. There will be approximately 11 individuals adding activities into the forms created on a daily basis with a potential of having all 11 accessing at the same time. That being said, "real-time" collaboration is necessary. We are currently accomplishing this today with Excel documents converted to "Sheets" via Google Drive.

It appears that I may possibly have to go down the SQL Azure path???

Thanks again.

access does not work with apple devices - it is not supported by IOS. Suggest instead look at using remote desktop or citrix - this environment would be a windows environment with a login profile for each user and can be run through IOS. Effectively all the processing is done on the server (you would install access/office for each user on the server) and the only transmissions across the network are mouse and keyboard events one way and screen refreshes the other - it's almost as good performance wise as having the backend end on your local drive. Also has the benefit of reduced problems around risks of data corruption due to network outages. You also still follow the standard advice to split the db and ensure each user uses their own copy of the front end.

If you google 'team viewer' or similar you can get a feel for how it works - I use it to connect to my office network when out and about.

Alternatively you will need to migrate the backend to something like sql azure and write a web based front end, optimised for Safari to manage the data - basically start again.

moneypen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hello,

I'm reading through the comments here - I need to clarify what is being said. We are creating pilot/test database in Access (2 colleagues), which will then be tested live with 12 other colleagues who will all be entering/editing info possibly simultaneously at times. The results of this testing will then be used for getting a bespoke database built by "experts". Before we even put it out for testing over the network, the only way we can work on it a the moment is by working locally on our work laptops. If we try to save/work on it from our network drive it takes forever to load. We all have limited knowledge of Access (some of us have used it years ago, so we're really making it up as we go along with tutorials etc). Our head office is in England (we're in Scotland) - IT support there said they're not very familiar with Access and servers. I need to feedback to our IT staff at Head Office about how we can get this to work so the rest of our 12 colleagues can open/edit/save their work. Am I right in saying we need to save the back end in shared folder on our network (which the IT support would create with their administrator privileges). When you say each user has a copy at the front end - is that something we would need to copy onto their laptops? The 12 colleagues will be in 4 locations across Scotland and we all work off our laptops (Windows 10 Pro). Hope this makes sense, thanks

If we try to save/work on it from our network drive it takes forever to load.
    this will be down to a slow network and/or a poorly designed front end/back end

Am I right in saying we need to save the back end in shared folder on our network
    yes

When you say each user has a copy at the front end - is that something we would need to copy onto their laptops?
    yes

The 12 colleagues will be in 4 locations across Scotland and we all work off our laptops
    would need more info to comment further but access is not designed to use across a WAN - so will be slow - and if your users are connecting wirelessly then there is likelihood of backend corruption if there is an interruption in the connection. Consider instead using sql server or sql server express for the backend - or possibly azure server. Also consider using something like terminal server or citrix

Not sure what other advice you require other than already stated on this thread.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.