TommyK is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Can't edit Query output using multiple tables

I'm not sure when this problem became a problem. I designed a many queries each using multiple linked tables, all have developed the same problem. One particular query tracks instructor report submission. the tables linked are Instructor, with instructor identifying information, Course schedule with the semester schedule and a course description table that has course information by unique course number, such as course description and identifies which reports are required for each course number. Each report name is a yes/no field. Instructors can teach multiple classes of the same course number and can teach multiple classes of different course numbers. There are multiple class sections (offerings) of most course numbers. Each output record is every class taught which requires a specific report which has not been checked YES. Each record also lists the instructor's email address from the Instructor table.

When I developed this three table query, I was able to open the query in a table configuration, then use it as a check sheet. As the reports came in I would click the yes/no box, changing the box from blank to checked, indicating the report was turned in. Completed reports, on subsequent refreshes of the query, dropped off the query output. This has worked for years.

Of late, after running the query, I am not able to click the check box to indicate the report has been delivered. I only get that error >ding< and the check box does not change. Inputing text data is blocked as well. Only deleting 2 of the 3 tables from the query re-establishes the edit ability, but that destroys the query's filtering capability.

WHAT HAS HAPPENED? How do I turn this feature back on?

Beetle is offline Unrelatable
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You may find some helpful information at this page.

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Do you have all three primary keys in the query?

TommyK is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    No, I did not have all three primary keys in the query. My practice is to have all primary keys an auto fill number, a serial number of sorts. I've added them to the query, but no change.

Beetle Bailey's response is a work in progress. His link lead me to the Access 2007 page. That Access may be having trust issues seems plausible. I changed departments, brought my dBs with me to load onto my new desktop. This seems to be when the trouble started. The shared network directory, upon which my databases reside, are not listed as 'trusted'. As I do not have administrator access to this work computer, I've haled the IT gurus to place this network directory on the trusted list. We'll see. I've been having monitor issues since early May and have not seen them since my request for service. UGH! I'll keep you posted. If anyone else has any other suggestions, I'm willing to try anything.

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Can you upload a sample db with just the three empty tables and the query in question so we could have a look?
    Cheers,
    Vlad

Beetle is offline Unrelatable
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyK View Post
    ...This seems to be when the trouble started. The shared network directory, upon which my databases reside, are not listed as 'trusted'. As I do not have administrator access to this work computer, I've haled the IT gurus to place this network directory on the trusted list...
    Assuming that the cause of the problem is the trusted location issue (we don't yet know that for sure), your quote above would lead me to ask two questions;

1) When you say "The shared network directory, upon which my databases reside..", you mean the back end is on the network directory, right? The front end should be on your local workstation.

2) The fact that you don't have admin rights on your work machine (I don't) should not necessarily prevent you from being able to add a trusted location for your Access file (I can). What happened when you tried to add the location? Did you make sure that Allow Trusted Locations on my network was checked?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.