Stylianos is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

How to refresh selected fields in a form?

Hello, I am still a novice but getting better everyday! I truly appreciate your help!!!
    I have a table with an associated (single)form used to capture Lot Information. Fields TechName through LotNumber (5 fields) are repeated up to 35 times with the remainder of the fields being dynamic. My goal is to minimize the technician from having to enter the first 5 fields but still be able to clear the remaining 6 fields after each save. I tried to requery via macro each of the field individually and various other methods but realized I am on the wrong path. Any Idea's how I can lock in the top 5 fields while still being able to update the bottom 6 fields?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LotInformation.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	34422

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LotTable.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	34423

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Are you saying that when you navigate to a new record, you want 5 fields to be pre-populated with the same data from the prior record? If so, why is it always that a new record will require the data from those fields as opposed to new values?

Or are you saying you want to lock those 5 fields to prevent edits? Either way, what is the trigger for this?
    This isn't clear
    5 fields) are repeated up to 35 times
    You have these 5 fields repeated, side by side, in a table? You don't show the same fields being repeated 35 times on your form, so I have no idea what that means.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    Are you saying that when you navigate to a new record, you want 5 fields to be pre-populated with the same data from the prior record? If so, why is it always that a new record will require the data from those fields as opposed to new values?

Or are you saying you want to lock those 5 fields to prevent edits? Either way, what is the trigger for this?
    This isn't clear You have these 5 fields repeated, side by side, in a table? You don't show the same fields being repeated 35 times on your form, so I have no idea what that means.
    Hello, Thanks for the feedback,
    Each Workorder has one Lot Number, same date, same tech, etc.. but the remainder of the entries change. There can be anywhere from 1 to 35 different spools, that the weight, length, resin, etc... change per run. After the tech enters the data for the 1st spool, I would like the 1st 5 fields to remain static and only clear the contents from the bottom 6 fields. This way the tech need only fill in the empty fields then save and go to next entry. After all spools are completed, I would like the form to save and clear all fields. Does this clarify the question?

FYI... the table in the image was a test sample... the rows are a variable depending on the actual numbers of spools they are able to produce...

Windows 10 Access 2016
    If you're saying that one work order can have 5 or so fields related to that wo, but there can be up to 35 spools on that wo, then why isn't this a form/subform setup with the 5 fields in the header and as many datasheet (or continuous) rows on the subform as there are spools? If you're not saying that, then no, it's not clear.

If you cannot use a form/subform for some reason, then my approach might be to use a query based on temp tables; 1 for the 5 fields and the other for the 1 to 35 - a one to many relationship. Reason for temp tables is so that you don't end up with orphan data in 5 wo fields with no related spool records should the operation be dropped or cancelled. I stress maybe, because the process isn't crystal clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    If you're saying that one work order can have 5 or so fields related to that wo, but there can be up to 35 spools on that wo, then why isn't this a form/subform setup with the 5 fields in the header and as many datasheet (or continuous) rows on the subform as there are spools? If you're not saying that, then no, it's not clear.

If you cannot use a form/subform for some reason, then my approach might be to use a query based on temp tables; 1 for the 5 fields and the other for the 1 to 35 - a one to many relationship. Reason for temp tables is so that you don't end up with orphan data in 5 wo fields with no related spool records should the operation be dropped or cancelled. I stress maybe, because the process isn't crystal clear.

Hello again! I will try again with the form/subform approach. I found an obvious error from my previous attempt, (Data Entry was set to NO) ouch! Thanks for followup, I will take your advise!!!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Data Entry = Yes means that the form will not show existing records when it opens, and even then, the effect depends on the Allow Additions property setting.
    Maybe research "ms access form data properties"?

I think you are clicking on "reply with quote" rather than "reply"?? Repeating the entire contents of what a responder writes isn't usually necessary.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.