Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    googalabosh is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Pushing Updates

I have built a database that many coworkers of mine will be using soon. The question came up what will happen if an update needs to made to the database. Can I build the update and my coworkers download the update like an app?

Is there an easy way for me to send an updated database to my coworkers that they can install without it affecting their data?

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    You have (or will before releasing) properly split this db, i.e. each user will have their own front end (fe) that is linked to the back end (be) tables? Or were you planning on something else? I'm thinking no if you have to ask about data being affected by updates.

While there are probably several ways to manage this process, what would be common to all of them is that the only thing that might be occasionally updated is the fe, due to a new query, form or report, for example. We need to know what your plan is re: splitting.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    We have a split db. The tables are on the share network folder,but each person has their own copy of the front end in their network folder.

i have a table of all users and their home path.
    i click a button and new updates are copied to each person in the list.
    a version# is on the main menu, so they know if they are on the same version.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    The database will be given to each employee separately. So, everyone will have their own database with their own data in it. Updates may happen from time to time to update the forms, reports, and links. I would like to push these updates out to everyone without it effecting their data.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Interesting. Is there a way to do this the other way around? So, the employee would have the tables (data) on their personal drive but pull the database from the network? This way I could update the database without effecting their tables (data).

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by googalabosh View Post
    So, the employee would have the tables (data) on their personal drive but pull the database from the network? This way I could update the database without effecting their tables (data).
    You have it backwards, I think. Not sure because I don't get why everyone has their own data set. So person A's data is independent of person B, and maybe even A should not be able to see B's? Yet these people will have the same forms, reports, queries? That's not the way to go. You might need to elaborate, or read up on splitting your Access db (tons of Google results).

You can push out an updated front end as noted, but my experience has been that this usually failed if someone had their file open - Windows would not over-write, nor would you want it to. I would have a version number in the fe and when releasing the new fe, update this number in the be. When a user attempts to open their fe, the numbers don't jive. They have to initiate the update process in order to get in.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Each employee has their own set of data they are working with. We do not share data.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Still doesn't tell me if they all have the same fe.
    Anyway, I recommend splitting each regardless. Any updates will over write the fe without affecting data.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Not sure what you mean by front end and back end but basically the database looks and acts exactly the same for every employee. The only difference is everyone has their own data they enter.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I think many of us as developers are surprised by having multiple users each having their own completely independent copy of the database, entering their own data with no access to other people's data.

Anyway, even with your 'unusual ' setup, you should split the database so updates don't overwrite existing data
    First make a BACKUP & another just in case! You can delete them later if no longer needed
    COPY all the tables to a new backend database complete with data. Save in the same folder
    DELETE the local tables in the existing (now frontend) database and replace with links to the BACKEND tables

If it works OK, make another BACKUP of both FE & BE

As each user has their own data, you will need to do this on each users' computer
    NOTE: If it was shared data, you would do it once & save the BE on the server

However assuming each user has the same file location, a new updated FE database can then be copied to each users computer when available

Good luck
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

June7 is offline VIP
    You are creating a maintenance nightmare for yourself. Each user will need their own split database setup. Backend has tables. Frontend has links to backend tables. Frontend also has queries, forms, reports, code. Normally the table link path would be the same for every user because the backend is shared. However, in your case, even though the frontends are identical, each will have a different link path to the user's backend. You want to be able to do maintenance to only one version of frontend and distribute it to each user. Each time the frontend is distributed, the table links will have to be re-established. Code can do this re-linking. Code can even establish connections to backend tables without creating the links you see in Navigation pane. I have implemented code that automates download of revised frontend. However, this procedure depends on a shared backend but I expect could be modified for your situation. I also have code that can modify links but only used it to relink tables when I would take db home to work on, never needed to implement for users.

The only approach I can envision for an all-in-one db is each user importing and replacing the revised objects (not established tables because that would wipe out their data). Code might be able to accomplish this but I have never explored.

And I shudder with horror at the need to modify a table for either arrangement, which should be a rare event so probably survivable without too much trauma.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Agree totally with June7. Abandon this idea. Keep one of each table that you would find in any one db. Use standard techniques to filter or restrict access to records as necessary.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks, Colin! I will definitely give that a try.

I understand this is a very unusual setup but unfortunately it is how it has to work in our department. It sounds like this set up will work though. Thank you again.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Whilst I'm also of the view this isn't the way to proceed, I wish you good luck with this.
    It's certainly going to be high maintenance.

Before you proceed it might be worth discussing the comments made with those in charge.
    Point out that the current approach will take much more time and effort to maintain than a shared backend datafile.
    Remember you can setup permission groups to restrict each user to specific areas / tables in multi user systems
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately, this has already been discussed and because of the nature of our work the system has to be split in this manner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.