halnurse is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Autofill records in child records from parent form

I have a form used to create purchase orders. In the parent form there is a field that is automatically generated as it is the ID field from a tblPO. I also have a drop down to select the customer, coming from a .

I have a subform that is used to write what material is being purchased for the specific customer. Is there a way for the Purchase Order number and the customer to auto populate into each record in the subform after selecting them is the parent form?? I am also trying to use a datasheet for the child form if that makes a difference.
    Thanks in advance for your time.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    run an append query. Set the masterkey to be appended from the master form, and all records from their table,

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Master/Child links of subform container will automatically save the parent form primary key into dependent record as a foreign key. This establishes a relationship link between the parent and child records. It is not necessary to have the PO number and customer info in the subform record.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks for your reply. So right now when I enter data into the subform, only the first record has the PO number and the customer saved and then subsequent records are left blank. Is there a way to fix this?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Wait, I might have misunderstood table relationships. We need to know more about your data structure and relationships.

You have a table for PurchaseOrders which are received from customer? Then there is a dependent table for the materials required to fulfill that order?

Perhaps main form bound to PurchaseOrders and a subform bound to PurchaseOrderMaterials with a combobox in subform for selecting material. Master/Child links properties of subform container will automatically save PurchasedOrder ID to dependent record.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I figured it out, I had an unnecessary relationship between tables. Thanks for all your help

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.