Sparky-1165 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Cool Import Linked Outlook folder emails

I am somewhat new to VB and MACROs, but OK with ACCESS database queries, tables, forms, and reports.

My Issue is:
    In the Body of the OUTLOOK email there are only file names, there can be 10 or many more. Each file name starts with “/data1/” and ends with “.ctl”. What I need to do is extract each of the file names into a table field as its own record, so if I have 10 file names I will have 10 records. In the same table, in separate fields, duplicate the email “Subject” and “Created” field data for each file name record.
    NOTE: There may be more than 1 email in this folder at a time. Can this process be automated to import each email respectfully from a click of a button or only 1 email at a time? If automated to do more than one email it will need to correctly put the file names, their Contents and Subject field data in with the correct file name record.

I have tried “Importing” an OUTLOOK email and the data in the Body is most often too long and will be truncated.
    I created a folder in Outlook named “GbrgImport” to store the emails I need to import into the ACCESS database.

I have now “Linked” to the email folder and that works fine.
    When “Linked” to the email the table field names are:
    Importance, Contents, Icon, Priority, Subject, From, Message To Me, Sender Name, CC, To, Received, Message Size, Created, Modified, Subject Prefix, Has Attachments, Normalized Subject, Object Type, and Content Unread.

The fields that are underlined are the fields with the data I need to use in a separate ACCESS table.
    Note: Subject and Normalized Subject seem to be duplicate information.
    The Contents field contains the file names starting with “/data1/” and ending in “.ctl”.
    Need to use either the Subject or Normalized Subject in a separate field to be duplicated for each file name record that came from the Contents field.
    Same goes for the Created field, (Which is a Date-Time), needs to be in a separate field, and needs to be duplicated for each file name record from the Contents field.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance Sparky

AccessToGo is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    Hi Sparky, so how will you want to use this in practice? e.g. have a form reviewing the records in the linked table and a button which "does this one" so you manually decide which you do and which you don't? What happens to those emails which have been done, deleted/moved updated somehow? Regards Chris

Hi Chris, This will be used to track what file names have been imported. Yes, I will have a form to view this information. I plan on using a split form as the end users are familiar with EXCEL. The emails, as we receive several of them daily, would be placed in an OUTLOOK "GbrgImport" email folder either manually or by creating an OUTLOOK rule to place them their. If you are asking to have the ability to choose which emails to import, nice feature if it had the ability to select individual emails or select all but not necessary, just needs to select all emails in the folder. What I would like is to move the information from the linked table to a separate table. The button will allow the data to be pulled from the linked table into the ACCESS table and if the same button can also create the records as described in the original post that would be great. After the emails have been imported, I would like to archive or move the emails to a different OUTLOOK email folder called "GbrgImported". I hope my responses to your questions are correct and helpful in getting this project started. I appreciate you responding and helping me in creating this project. Regards Sparky

AccessToGo is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    Sorry Sparky, I've been thinking through this issue and I can't find a simple workable solution for you. It's going to need some advanced VBA event coding. I would suggest that you close this question and post a new one so somebody else picks it up. Apologies Chris

Thanks for sticking with it and trying to help me resolve this issue. Much obliged.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.