Shortmeister1 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Linked Table - The Microsoft Access database engine could not find the object "tbl****".

Hi there.

First time caller!

I have a peculiar problem and I'm stumped.

I'm writing a training database for a local charity that works in drug rehabilitation and training. For a whole load of reasons, Access is the preferred option over SQL server, so quickly reminded myself how to think Access. Since this isn't truly a professional project (for me), I've been developing it at home on my Windows 10 PC with Access 2016. There shouldn't be any permission issues, but...

I have split my Access database into a FE and BE.

It worked fine in development, but I asked a friend to test it and gave him a slightly redacted version of the BE (thinking GDPR!) and that's when the problems started; when I relinked the tables.

The linked tables are all fully accessible in the FE (and the BE) but running the following code does something really weird...

Code:
    DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, 10, "tblStudents", CurrentProject.Path & "\TCERD" & CStr(Year(Date)) & CStr(Month(Date)) & CStr(Day(Date)), True
    DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, 10, "tblCourseRecord", CurrentProject.Path & "\TCERD" & CStr(Year(Date)) & CStr(Month(Date)) & CStr(Day(Date)), True
    DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, 10, "tlkpCourse", CurrentProject.Path & "\TCERD" & CStr(Year(Date)) & CStr(Month(Date)) & CStr(Day(Date)), True
    DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, 10, "tlkpGender", CurrentProject.Path & "\TCERD" & CStr(Year(Date)) & CStr(Month(Date)) & CStr(Day(Date)), True
    DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, 10, "tblDummyStudentsMap", CurrentProject.Path & "\TCERD" & CStr(Year(Date)) & CStr(Month(Date)) & CStr(Day(Date)), True
    The first two lines export perfectly but the following three throw an error - "The Microsoft Access database engine could not find the object "tlkp****". I don't get it!

I also note that trying to Compact and Repair the BE throws an error itself - "Could not use D:\********\ERD_BE.accdb; file already in use.

Lots of searches later and I give up. You all seem like nice people - any help greatly appreciated.

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    does "tlkpCourse" and "tlkpGender" exist and can be opened?

also
    CurrentProject.Path & "\TCERD" & CStr(Year(Date)) & CStr(Month(Date)) & CStr(Day(Date))

can be shown as:
    CurrentProject.Path & "\TCERD" & format(date,"yyyymmdd")

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Absolutely "tlkpCourse" and "tlkpGender" exist (as linked tables) and can be opened in the FE.

Good point about format! I think I was tired....

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Also to reiterate, there's no difference between them and "tblStudents" and "tblCourseRecord", which is what makes this so strange.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    A Decompile/Compile process corrected some oddball issues for me. No idea if that will help you.

Otherwise, would need to have both files for analysis and testing. To provide files, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I'd never used decompile and had to look it up - http://datagnostics.com/dtips/decompile.html

Worked like a dream. Thank you very much.

Incidentally, it then threw up a second error "3274 External Table is not in the expected format". This randomly affected one or many of the export lines of code; different each time.

I solved it by adding the following error handler to force it to retry the code up to 10 times before giving up and exiting the sub.

Code:
    cmdExportTables_Click_Err:    i = i + 1
        Debug.Print i
        If i < 10 Then
            Resume
        End If

MsgBox Err.Description & vbCr & Err.Number
    If anyone thinks my error handling is pants and there's a better way to handle race conditions, I'm all ears...!

June7 is offline VIP
    According the MS: "The format of the table has changed since it was linked. Link the table again, and then retry the operation."
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    That was the first thing I did!

It was a race error with a crappy error message.

June7 is offline VIP
    Don't know what you mean by 'race' error.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.