breakingme10 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Storing All Previous Values for Records

I'm not sure the best way to achieve what I need. I currently use excel for this and it's become a workbook with over 100 sheets and takes forever to load.
    We are a construction company, we have to call in to OKIE811 to notify them of our intent to do work that could interfere with utility companies lines/pipes etc so that they will then notify the companies in that area and those companies will mark their lines so we don't hit them. The ticket reference numbers we are given are only good for 10 days, then we have to update and get a new 14 digit ticket number. I have some tickets that have been active since 2015 so there are a lot of those 14 digit numbers. In addition to that, the StartDate StartTime UpdateByDate and ExpirationDate change every week also. And the contact for the ticket can change as well as different crews doing different things go to take care of their part of the job.
    I do need to have these previous ticket numbers, it's the only way to know precisely which ticket the responses are for. I just need some advice on how i should go about this.
    I've started the database breaking apart the main DATATABLE into parts that reduce some of the redundancies (Caller info, contact info, excavator info, etc).

I've attached a very small part of the original excel workbook that I use for reference. This is just a small part of it. I deleted most of the table rows and cover page sheets because it was such a large file.
    The columns highlighted red can change each week. Each job can have more than one locate as well.
    Any help on this would be very appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    So what exactly are you asking for? How to develop a relational database?

What is the issue? Can't you just mark the expired ticket as such and then create another record for the 'reissue'.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Entering in all the data over and over every week would take up a lot of time that I don't have to spare. I need to be able to just change certain fields, but keep those field's previous values. So the end of my cover page will have a list of all those previous ticket numbers. I thought of using column history, but it always puts a [Version: datetime] at the beginning and since the ticket number is the date and time I don't want that extra bit in the front of each line, especially when it could be monday when they are updated in the system and then tuesday before I sort the emails to enter it all into our company's systems. We have around 100 locates a week.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I'm just going to deal with the redundant data. if the file begins to become to large i'll just delete out any locates that we are no longer updating (job completed).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.